ARK: Survival Evolved Mega Thread

This quote goes back to what I say over and over on the ReaperCast. Pricing changes when you are dealing with brick and mortar retailers and the partnership you have with them.

“Admittedly, my intent, our intent, was to have the price hit the full retail price when the full retail launch occurred,” Stieglitz, the game’s lead designer, lead programmer and co-creative director, tells me. “That would have been at the retail launch, not prior to that. The reality turned out to be, and we didn’t realise this until we got to the final phase of getting the game into retail channels, was that: in order to get the game into retailers—that is not digital retailers but physical ones, both for the physical disc PC version and the console version—the retailers and distributors wouldn’t take it if the digital versions was cheaper than the retail version. They found that it would undermine their sales potential.”

1 Like

This makes a lot of sense - but it hadn’t occurred to me that the retailers/distributors actually would refuse it.
Clearly ties their hands.

Agreed @unobtainaballs doesnt sound like they had much of a choice, which I understand but I’m not sure how I feel about that kind of control. I would of liked to be in the room when that conversation happened. “We won’t allow you to sell your product at the price you want, it must cost the consumer more…”

Well, it was still their choice to post the launch price at $60.

Plus I think the userbase would have gone mental if it went for physical release at $60 but Steam still had the Early Access version (same content?) at $30 odd, even for just a week or so.

I think they could have given the userbase a warning of a week or two - that would have been nice.

1 Like

Fuck these brick and mortars. The sooner that MS and Sony realize that the shitty stores like Gamestop and Best Buy need them worse than they need the stores will be a great day for consumers. These stores are already holding on by a thread anyhow, with all the closings they’re going through, so it’s not like they would be missed.

Full release has been delayed until August 29th.

Ark: Survival Evolved’s full release has been delayed, developer Wildcard has announced. The final game will now launch on PS4, Xbox One, and PC on August 29.

The open-world title was previously scheduled to launch on August 8 after being available in early access for more than two years. Wildcard said the three-week delay is because the process of going gold and going through certification “took a little longer than expected.”

“We’re deeply apologetic for those who were negatively affected by the delay,” the company stated. “It sucks, it wasn’t what we had wanted nor planned but [it’s] where we currently stand. We wanted to address this sooner but did not want to make any statements until we were completely sure of what was going to happen.”

The game’s new Ragnarok map will also launch on console on August 29, the same day as a big PC patch will arrive for the arena. Wildcard says the additional time allows “further development of the map,” teasing that fans can “expect a gigantic update, even bigger than we initially thought.”

Release day will see Ragnarok grow in size by one quarter, says Wildcard. The update will introduce “new biomes, a coastal Wyvern canyon, an epic boss encounter, new engrams, and something secret the Ragnarok team are cooking up.”

Elsewhere in the announcement, Wildcard says it will mostly be focusing on PC and multiplayer updates in the coming weeks, though it says console users will receive the updates too, eventually. Check out the studio’s plans in detail here.

Wildcard faced controversy recently after doubling Ark’s price and saying it would wipe the game’s PvP servers in time for its full launch. Although the new price tag remains, the company has since reversed its decision on the server reset.

1 Like

Quote from Wildcard in the last Community Crunch:

Steyoung89 asks, “Where do you stand with the Windows 10 version of the game?”

It’s nearly ready – with Crossplay and Windows-hosted Dedicated Server and cross-buy and cross-platform transfer of data etc – and it should release on August 29 or near that (depending on whether Microsoft can certify it for launch quickly enough!).

Lots of things happening for Ark on PC this week and the next couple. Big PC performance update with the Ragnarok DLC update as well. @ArkPlayers

Ragnarok Update

There is also some big updates coming to some of my favorite mods:

Steampunk Mod is getting better Steam Workshop::Ark Steampunk Mod

Probably my second favorite building mod behine S+
Steam Workshop::Castles, Keeps, and Forts (Legacy) For new version go to Castles Keeps and Forts Remastered. This version still works.
They have been working on a warfare update with medieval weapons and armor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZd0-tC-4Ws&feature=youtu.be

There are some new mods in the Sponsored Mod Program. Some I have seen rumored to be coming to console!
I really like this one, the developer is a YouTuber that does some great Ark building. This would be a lot of fun for the xbox group. @koldfront_kraig
Call of the Wild

The latest one I saw is a total conversion that is said to be coming to Xbox.
Dragonpunk: Mythical Creatures

This weeks Community Crunch

I randomly was playing with the Nvidia Ansel this past week and got a nice pic. Submitted it for the Ansel super res contest and won!

Here’s a vid that goes thru the crunch. I was scrolling thru youtube on my phone and what do you know, I recognize the thumbnail, lol
ARK - THE PHOENIX IS HERE! - THE FULL GAME = 100GB?! - TEK BOW AND MORE! - Ark Survival Evolved - YouTube

1 Like

So awesome.

Official Launch Trailer

1 Like

I’m sorry if this was already mentioned, but does this community have a dedicated 24/7 server?

PC or Xbox or PS4?

PC - Yes a heavily modded one
Xbox - Waiting for server rentals. Person that was running it sold his extra Xbox.
PS4 - I don’ think so, but I am not 100% as I am without a PS4 for the time being.

1 Like

Guessing he meant Xbox.

@MohawkViking did mention having a PS4 rented server for Ark, which was about a week ago now.

Thanks for the speedy and informative reply!, I was meaning Xbox One, And I hope to see one running in the near future.

1 Like

@unobtainaballs I do have a PS4 rented server yeah. It’s only 10 slots with just my brothers that play at the moment, but we wouldn’t mind more company. We are running Ragnarok

1 Like

I obtained my first Rex in a “slightly” boosted server, xp and harvesting and taming is x3. I felt very accomplished and needed to share this milestone

2 Likes

Just an update for any Ark PC players. I changed up the mod collection for the server.
Message me here or on discord if you do not have the passwords. Let me know if you have any problems getting on.
Here is the new mod collection:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1099478104
@ArkPlayers

1 Like