Admin Edit: Server has been shut down. (June 20, 2018)
Bit of a preamble: I’ve had this domain for over a month and it’s not because of anything GRG-related. I’m embracing it, though. It’s on my resume and everything.
The 7 Days to Die server is up and running. Default difficulty, random terrain. The only tweak was enabling airdrop beacons because fuck searching square kilometers of terrain for something that might not exist. Max player count is 8. That’s the “official” default max but others have several times that so we’ll just wait and see if we get anywhere close. Invite your friends. Invite your family. Invite people you hate (and then spawn camp them). I may end up opening it to another community as well, just to provide more potential for player interaction.
If you want to play, there’s an easy way and a hard way. Either way, the password is “grgshitshow”
Easy way: find the server named “Shit Show Servers”
Hard way: plug shitshow.systems into the ip field and 26900 into the port field.
I’ve fought with this the past few hours. I may play for a bit but it’s about time for sleep.
Old OP@GrumpyInUt's Revelation server may have run basically to completion but voxel-based survival games are still all I play at the moment. To that end, I'd like to set up a new server if anyone else is interested (@rabb replied in the latest community thread, so I suppose that's at least one potentially interested party).
I’m not married to Minecraft or anything. I’ve got loads of games that could work. There are a few things (I hesitate to call them rules, maybe guidelines would be better) to keep in mind, however.
- I don’t know if I can play vanilla Minecraft anymore. I’d be willing to give it a shot if that’s what people want.
- Pick one:
- Your suggestion must have Linux server software
- It must cooperate with Wine
- Someone else hosts
And that’s basically it. Make your suggestion, maybe a short pro/con, say if you want mods (specific mods or modpacks would be appreciated in this case) or vanilla. There’s no downvote feature so there’s no way of denoting “I would prefer to play nothing than to play game X” besides using your words, so be sure to say something if that applies.
Here’s just a few off the top of my list. It’s not exhaustive. Just know that there are many more out there.
- Minecraft (preferably with a bunch of mods)
- Pros: You’ve played it before. Well-supported everywhere.
- Cons: Gets kind of samey after a while.
- Pros: Good-looking and free.
- Cons: I haven’t played for extended periods so I’m not sure how viable “survival” gameplay is.
- 7 Days to Die
- Pros: You can pretend it’s not built on voxels if you want. Possibly has the best exploration/looting I’ve seen.
- Cons: Zombies. They’re coarse and rough and irritating and they get everywhere.
Now go forth and tell me what to do, so I can lay all the blame at your feet when things go wahoonie-shaped.