Amplitude- The Rebirth of a classic

So by now everyone know Rock Band and Guitar Hero, but what came before them???

Harmonix’, Creators of Guitar Hero, first endeavor into the rhythm genre was a game called Frequency, The Sequel was called Amplitude. So many memories of those games. only thing the multi-port thingy on the PS2 was good for.

In Amplitude the player controls a beat blaster ship across a lane of six tracks, each track representing a musical instrument and containing note gems that the player shoots at in time with the music. The player earns points for accurate playing and increases their scoring multiplier by playing a series of flawless sequences; the player loses energy by missing too many notes and can end the song prematurely if they run out of energy. Compared to the original Frequency which used more electronica and trance music, Amplitude included additional pop rock songs in its soundtrack.

The game was a critical success, and lead Harmonix to become a major studio. In 2014, Harmonix successfully offered a Kickstarter campaign to raise over $840,000 in funds to build a new Amplitude game for PlayStation 3 and 4 consoles; the remake was released in January on Tuesday, and I’m loving it.

The game is $20. comes with 30 songs. 15 originally made by Harmonix. Those 15 tracks are used in the “Campaign” to create a concept album. It’s pretty neat. Other 15 are from video games and remixes. I’m hoping there is DLC from some bigger artists that were in the past games.

There is a 3 song Demo availble in the PSN store. I highly suggest you check it out.

here’s a vid of what it plays like. I feel like this is one of the funner songs. oh and I can barely do expert on this song:

1 Like

Seems a lot like Rock Band Blitz, which was a lot of fun.

Yeah, same company, same concept.

I played the demo and will eventually pay $20. I played Frequency and Amplitude when they first came out. Playing the demo was so nostalgic and it’s where the whole genre started.
And the demo has Freeze Pop, one of the favorite bands from the orginal games. It’s pretty much the same game it was years ago which is fine. Like Tetris it don’t need to change much to keep it entertaining.

I blew the dust off my twitter account and tweeted harmonix about he soundtrack and dlc. Their reply was simply "we have no plans to release the soundtrack"
So sounds like there will at least be more songs via dlc

1 Like