Best Manageable Ping

@BattlefieldPlayers
I’ve been playing solo lately because I fear I can’t play with others. I’ve been spoiled with high speed internet so long I never paid attention as my internet was never an issue, but now I’m on DSL and I’ve been closely monitoring my ping. (assuming that’s the same as latency)

I usually sit around 43, but I see people in the lobby with like 100 and they’re on top of the leaderboard. Actually…when I check the leaderboards often in game, it seems like my 43 is on the lower end compared to everyone else.

I’ve tried to join someone else’s game and was dying with like 129. It seemed unplayable.

I’ve read that maybe I should try the server search, but I always come up with empty lobbies. Apparently I can’t manage to enter the correct settings.

When you guys come running back like a dumped BF when the DLC comes out, I dunno if I can even join. I’m in the Midwest…should I try to join someone close by? That would seem obvious I guess.

Anyways…what would you say is the best manageable ping to play with? I seem to do fine on my 43, but that’s always running solo. I do use quick join, because any time I asked people in the past no one said it mattered. That was my other clan. Any feedback would be appreciated!

If you still play hit me up, I’ve been lonely! xSHADOWBOXERx

I’m not sure as I really don’t pay much attention to it anymore. Then again I have a different connection and usually have a solid connection to BF servers.

I have never looked at ping on console. I don’t even know where to look off hand.

43 ping is not high. If you are having issues I would say it is something else.

Not going to happen anytime soon for me. PUBG hits 12/12.

Ping measure latency. anything less than 100ms is considered good and you should not have a problem. lagging at 129 seems a bit on the low side for that. course the server could have a hand in that as well. i would say if you hit over 150 then you are asking for trouble.

DSL always has a low latency connection because its a direct shot. Not shared like cable. What hurts with DSL is the limitation on bandwidth.

Playing online games should not be a problem for you pending you dont have anything else sending data over the network. Like someone watching netflix.

I use a DSL connection and dont have any issues. Goto www.speedtest.net and measure your line speed.
Check your NAT type is open. Is your xbox connected through Ethernet or wifi. where abouts is your router to your xbox? are you using a telephone line extension lead

OK…so I’ll share a screen shot of my speed test, I’ve run around 20 and always get very close to the same results.

I do recall hearing about people NAT being set to off or moderate, but I never had a problem so I’m not 100% how to check. Forgive my stupidity, am I checking this on the game or the XBOX itself?

I have everything else optimized as best I know. The XBOX is attached by ethernet (CAT6 I think) I have all of the internet hardware in my man cave. Guess it doesn’t matter since I’m not wireless, but the Router/modem combo is 1 foot away from my XBONE, has to be, the ethernet wire I’m using is like 2 ft. lol

Telephone extension lead? I have a phone jack in my room. It had a splitter connected to it for DSL and phone line, but I don’t use the phone line so I just removed the splitter.

As Grex mentioned…as long as no one else is hogging my bandwidth, I play smoothly for the most part. I do have to share with a few cell phones and an occasional tablet, but I don’t usually play when this bitch guest fires that thing up. My main worry is playing with others. I have no friends left to join from here that I know of. I’ve avoided finding another group to play with (It’s such a requirement in this game) because I’m not sure I can hang. Hell…I feel like I can tell when it goes above 43…so I can’t imagine 100 being playable. P.S. I see I have a cake by my name. Happy 1 year anniversary to me!

The xbox. If you go to your network settings it tells you if your NAT is Open, Moderate, or closed.

Your speeds are the same I have at work. I stream Netflix or ESPN all day and am constantly having to restart what I am watching cause it times out. I also loose connection on my PC a few times a day. This is with cable internet. I am sharing with another business so there is always a lot of people on it. Phones,computers, etc. If your problems mostly happen when sharing the bandwidth I would say that is your #1 problem. Sucks cause the only fix for that is telling everyone else to fuck off.

Not really…I’m actually pretty good at that.

1 Like

quick tip. when doing speedtest it will default to the closest server to you. Pick one halfway across the country and see what that does to your ping. since most of the time that is where the server will be connecting to distance wise.

2 Likes

Where is your telephone master socket? is you router also connected to the master socket.
Follow this guide to do a quiet line test to make sure there is no interference on your line
https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Performing-a-Quiet-Line-Test?Keywords=telephone

I’m pretty sure the master socket would be in my living room. Before the technician was done connecting our service I had him run an addition line to my room, where the router/modem is hooked up. I believe I could switch those 2 lines at the main service box coming to our house, if it makes a difference…

I’ll have to dig out an old wired phone to run the interference tests.

Thanks for the feedback!

Ok, so your main phone line box is in your room but the tech ran a second line to your bedroom and this is where your router is. The second line he put in for you could be causing interference. Its best practice to have your router connected to your master socket. Doing this could get you a better speed and more reliable connection. Did you check your NAT? Is it open. The NAT must be set to open for good multiplayer gaming

1 Like

Yes, NAT is open as of yesterday when I checked.

The master socket is in my living room. I have the additional line sent to my “man cave”. This is where the router is connected. To the secondary phone line. Instead of running a phone line through my living room to the master socket, can I just change the 2 at the service box coming to my house? That way that master line is going to my “man cave” and the secondary line goes to the living room? I was about to take the box apart now but it’s a little too dark.

I wouldn’t recommend you do that yourself unless you are a telephone line tech. Just for testing purposes disconnect your router and connect it to your master socket, then run a speed test with a laptop connected to the router through a lan cable. This way you will be able to see if there is a difference when connected to each box…
What speed does your ISP state you should be getting?