Call of Duty 2017 Release Date, Prediction & Era (WW2, Vietnam Etc.)

Infinite Warfare has just been released alongside Modern Warfare Remastered and many players are already wondering when the Call of Duty 2017 release date is, which era the game will be set in and when we’ll receive an official announcement.

Call of Duty 2017 Release DateCOD 2017 is expected to be released in early November, 2017. This is based on the last 4 titles being released between November 4th – 6th in each year.
Michael Condrey from Sledgehammer Games already confirmed the game was in pre-production back in February, 2015. This is the same development team which created Advanced Warfare, but don’t expect another futuristic style game.

Call of Duty 2017 EraHere at Gaming INTEL we are confident Call of Duty 2017 is going back in time. In our Call of Duty 2017 Poll on our twitter account just 6% of voters wanted a futuristic game, 42% wanted a game between 2000 and the present and 28% wanted a WW1 / WW2 style game. The remaining 24% wanted a Vietnam era game. Back in 2015 Activision’s CEO Eric Hirshberg said it was ‘certainly possible’ Call of Duty titles could head back to the WW2 era.

In recent years, the Call of Duty franchise has turned to futuristic style gameplay. This hasn’t gone down particularly well with the fans, with the exception of Black Ops 3 which sold significantly better than Advance Warfare and Ghosts. The most recent title ‘Infinite Warfare’ has seen a drop in sales at nearly 50% compared to Black Ops 3, including over 3 million dislikes on the trailer.

This is sending a clear message to Activision that the majority of gamers are tired of futuristic style warfare, do not want thrust jumps / wall running and need some refreshing boots on the ground. This was backed up by the huge support in releasing MW Remastered.

Call of Duty 2017 News
Call of Duty: Vietnam (Fog of War) was a title previously in development with Sledgehammer games, but back in January 2011 it was confirmed it would be cancelled or simply ‘put on hold’. Advanced Warfare was eventually chosen instead. This could be a very interesting lead for COD 2017, if the game had been simply put on hold we may just see Call of Duty: Vietnam coming in 2017.

Overall it seems clear that the Call of Duty franchise needs reinvigorating and going back in time is the best way to do this. Polls with over 3,000 votes on our Gaming INTEL Twitter Account show the strong support for going back in time and financially it would make sense to Activision, given the latest sales figures. However, the decision will have already been made since these games are in 3 year development cycles and this would have been decided a long time ago. Although we have added in our own speculation here; we’re very confident Call of Duty 2017 will be set in the past, without the likes of thrust jumps. Most evidence points towards a Vietnam or WW2 style game. Leaks usually start to appear in late April / early May but keep an eye out on the Sledgehammer Games Twitter account as they may just tweet a few teasers. Infinity Ward tweeted an astronaut in space on the last new years, which turned out to be pretty accurate.

Sources: CoD Wiki

Really? Who are these many players?

All the ones that hate or skipped this one, but want to give them the benefit of the doubt.

They absolutely need to ditch the space combat. Leave that to Halo and Destiny. They also need to reinvent the game. I’m not interested in a reskinned CoD. They need to do what CoD 4 did to shooters. A complete overhaul.

I want my military shooters to be just that. I don’t want pink paint for my gun or armor. I don’t need made up guns and twist on old weapons. Just give me a shooter based off real events. Real bullet physics is nice too. Less kill streaks would be nice. No need for a person kicking ass to be awarded more. They should do like BF1 and give the losing team and advantage.

I think my biggest issue with COD is it will always be a 360 no scope, corner camping, corner pre firing game, with horrible spawn points. You don’t really have to be skilled or work as a team to do well. Just know the tricks and you can do well. Just aim and pull the trigger.

Not much to wonder on release date. It is always November.

1 Like

Overall it seems clear that the Call of Duty franchise needs reinvigorating and going back in time is the best way to do this.

Ya think! I agree the " new" engine has never worked as anticipated. But agreed do not think it will happen unless there is a Scorpio change on the horizon.

Yes I think we are taking about the same thing but I was being sarcastic about " new" in their terms but just a revamped old system. I am hopeful with new hardware PS or Xbox perhaps they will actually consider developing a true new system. Always the optimist!

Engine name Release year Upgraded from Change summary
Call of Duty id Tech 3 2003 Modified version of id Tech 3 from Quake III Arena
DirectX 9 driven renderer (base id Tech 3 engine was OpenGL driven)
Call of Duty 2 IW 2.0 2005 Modified version of id Tech 3 from Call of Duty
Normal mapping
Light bloom
Heat haze
Unified shadowing system
Game console support.
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare IW 3.0 2007 Call of Duty 2’s IW 2.0 engine
Bullet penetration
Improved AI
Lighting engine upgrades
Particle system enhancements
Ragdoll physics integrated into character death animations.
Self-shadow every frame
Call of Duty: World at War IW 3.0 2008 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare’s IW 3.0 engine
Audio occlusion
Improved physics
Ragdoll physics after death animations
Dismemberment
More destructible environments
Realistic burning of skin and clothing
Propagating fire
007: Quantum of Solace[9] IW 3.0 2008 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare’s IW 3.0 engine
Cover system
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 IW 4.0 2009 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare’s IW 3.0 engine
Texture streaming technology
Improved AI
Call of Duty: Black Ops[10] IW 3.0 2010 Call of Duty: World at War’s IW 3.0 engine
Texture streaming technology
Stereoscopic 3D support
Deferred lighting[11]
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3[12][13] IW 5.0 (MW3 engine) 2011 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2’s IW 4.0 engine
Improvements to texture streaming technology to allow for larger regions
Lighting engine enhancements to show reflections of some objects on tile floors
Improvements to the audio engine
Call of Duty: Black Ops II[14] Black Ops II engine 2012 Call of Duty: Black Ops’s IW 3.0 engine heavily modified
Reveal mapping (improved texture blending)
Improved water effects
Improved lighting effects
Lens flare effects
HDR lighting
Bounce lighting
Self-shadowing
Intersecting shadows
DirectX 11 for Windows version
Improvements to the audio engine
Call of Duty: Ghosts[15] IW 6.0[6] 2013 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3’s MW3 engine updated (IW 5.0)
Pixar’s SubD (models sub-divide the closer the player gets to them)[7]
New animation systems for movement (sliding, leaning etc.)
Fluid dynamics
Interactive smoke
Improved AI
Dynamic multiplayer maps
Displacement mapping
True real-time HDR lighting
Iris Adjust tech
Graphics Tessellation for Windows, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One
PhysX support for Windows version
Specular mapping on particle effects
Using Umbra’s advanced rendering technology
Call of Duty: Black Ops III[16] Black Ops III engine 2015 Call of Duty: Black Ops II’s Black Ops II engine updated
Renderer
Animation systems[17]
Lightning
Dynamic water simulation system

So, the SAG/Aftra voice actor’s strike may have revealed the title of Sledgehammer’s next COD.

Call of Duty: Stronghold and Lethal Combat?