Destiny 2 Teasing the Return of Three-Tap Hand Cannons?

It has already been announced that the global time to kill is being adjusted with the release of Forsaken, Destiny 2’s major expansion coming in September. But could that mean that the ability to three-tap opposing players in the Crucible with hand cannons is coming back as well? It’s looking very likely.

For those who don’t know or remember three-tap hand cannons from Destiny 1, hand cannons such as the Eyasluna were legendary for their ability to kill in PvP with just three precision shots. Especially in Destiny 1’s Year 3, three-tap hand cannons became a favorite of PvP players for their quick time to kill. And, in a teaser trailer that Destiny 2 developer Bungie just released for a livestream next week that will cover combat changes coming to the game in Forsaken, there is a clip of a hand cannon (which looks like Better Devils) that kills a Guardian in just three shots to the head.

One of Bungie’s community managers, dmg04, also drew attention to the clip on Twitter:

To be fair, there are hand cannons in Destiny 2 that can three-tap an opponent in Crucible, but they are the unwieldy high impact hand cannons such as Iron’s Banner Crimils Dagger. But what fans are most excited to see return are weapons like Destiny 1’s The Palindrome that were much snappier and easier-to-handle weapons that still had the ability to three-tap. If Better Devils, which is already a fan-favorite hand cannon, will now be able to three-tap in the Crucible, there are a number of fans that will be very happy.

The stream that would reveal this news is set for Tuesday, August 7 at 10 a.m. Pacific. Called the “Year 2 Combat Reveal Stream,” it is likely to feature details about the changes coming to Destiny 2’s weapons, abilities, and reworked weapon slot system. Some of those changes will come to the game on August 28 for all players, a week before the release of the Forsaken DLC.

Destiny 2: Forsaken releases on September 4, 2018 for PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

What’s the average shots to kill with current hand cannons? 4-5?

And 3 precision shots to kill seems like a lot. Head shots should do damage. At least I think that’s a lot. I don’t use hand cannons in the Crucible as reloading so often gets me in more trouble then they are worth.

I do love my Better Devils (especially the shader I have, it’s purdy) in PvE. It’s a fun change of pace.

if this is to believed there are a few 3 crit weapons already…many 5’s and some 4’s the crimson for example is 9 but that’s 3 trigger pulls…

ok lets get a little nerdy with numbers here…
Better Devils: Current ttk is 1.3 seconds with an damage combo of 1c3b
crit=61
Body=45/46
61+(3x46)=199
in the teaser that’s 3c so 3c=199…199/3=c c=66.33

so we are talking about an increase damage output of 5.33 per crit (66.33-61)

ok…I know it was my post…but meh

give me 10 more body on an auto and we are talking

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s me or what but I feel the hitbox is much more forgiving with a hand cannon than say a scout rifle on crit shots.

Do you find you’re constantly scoping in/out with a handcannon, to keep sights on?
Whereas with a scout, you’re usually at a further distance, so you’re more likely to stay ADS to use that smaller movement to track?
That could explain it.

Dunno though, could be that the handcannons have less bloom or something (though I think the opposite is actually perceived to be true by the wider fanbase).

Possibly. I am a heavy ADS user.