Dying Light: Bad Blood is a Standalone, Free to Play "Brutal Royale"

The team at Techland hasn’t settled on just making their much-anticipated sequel, Dying Light 2. They’ve revealed they’re also hard at work on a forthcoming standalone multiplayer PVP/PVE mashup experience that they’re dubbing “brutal royale.” Much like the popular battle royale games of late, Dying Light: Bad Blood puts a lobby in a last-player-standing deathmatch.

Combining the game’s first-person parkour, melee combat, and AI threats from the undead should make the 12-player battle royale stand out from the increasingly crowded field of genre titles, says Techland. They’ll be self-publishing the title on Steam, Xbox One, and PS4, with a pair of weekend playtests running over the next two weeks exclusively on Steam.

A Founder’s Pack will be sold for $19.99 that will include exclusive skins and a mask, as well as in-game currency. It will then launch in Steam Early Access as a free to play game, as it is ultimately intended to be on consoles as well. They’ve not yet revealed if the game will see an early launch in Xbox Game Preview, although it would certainly seem fitting. How long after its Steam release will it come to consoles is also a mystery for now, but we’ll be going hands-on with it at PAX West next weekend, so we’ll be sure to come back with our full impressions and plenty more information on the game.

2 Likes

Surely they have to hop on quick to get their foot in the door on the BR genre.

I know the BF and COD versions haven’t launched just yet so the PC/Steam release will probably be fine but the console releases might be dead in the water.

Nice to hear they actually plan on making a few changes at least. Will see if it actually delivers something unique.

1 Like

@anon42851937 's skills in the first Dying Light.

Unfortunately I don’t have the clip where @anon36214017 and I told him there was a first aid pack in a balcony. He proceeded to go over there and we then blew up a propane tank.

3 Likes