Elite Dangerous

I went from the first night ready to break my tv over this game to this morning, just flying around doing some basic delivery missions for credits and enjoying the view. It is hard to learn but I have played 4 or 5 times now and am much more comfortable with the game. Watch the videos in the training area before trying the tutorials. There are only 3 or 4 you need to watch but they explain things where the tutorial itself does not. I have found a lot of help on Reddit and the games actual forums. Donā€™t let the learning curve scare you off. If I can do it, anyone can do it. Not to say I know what I am doing yet but I know enough to fly some basic missions.

So i reckon i will have to look at maybe getting this on the XB1.

The learning curveā€¦yep its theirā€¦just like the morning reminder of a bad night of decisions and who the hell is laying next to meā€¦But if you can have a bit of patience and and slowly move through the obstaclesā€¦like that morning you can successfully GTFO and blow shit up.

Watch videos on this gameā€¦do they helpā€¦mehā€¦yes and noā€¦depends on what you are having an issue with, but they are their. But no worries, I gotchaā€¦Hereā€™s a linkā€¦
https://community.elitedangerous.com/tutorial-videos

When you are first starting this gameā€¦DONT buy a newer shipā€¦the temptation is theirā€¦But hang back and use the ā€˜Sidewinderā€™ā€¦its a very decent ship and once fitted right and flight skills increase, you will be impressed on what this ā€˜starterā€™ ship can do.

It is definitely a ā€˜multi-roleā€™ ship. Meaning its a pocket knifeā€¦jack of all tradesā€¦ handymanā€¦you get the pictureā€¦This ship can do just about every role, but doesnā€™t master a particular oneā€¦you just have to install the fittingsā€¦not all ships in this game have the ability to do this. Many ships have very niche rolesā€¦So remember that when you do start looking to purchase a new space ride.

Landingā€¦this is the objective that will cause you to flip shitā€¦especially if you have purchased a new ship and foolishly fly it with out ensuring you have enough money to cover the insurance replacement ā€¦no worry insurance is automaticā€¦you just have to be able to cover the cost. But back to Landingā€¦Tips Tricksā€¦

1. Ensure you request permission to Land. Landing Pad will then be assigned to you.
  2. Slow is steady, steady is smooth, and smooth is fast. Take your time landingā€¦its not a race.
  3. Landing Pad Indicatorā€¦when you start to close-in on your assigned Pad. The indicator will pop up in your HUD.
  4. Landing Pad Indicatorā€¦ Your ship should be facing away from you in the holographic image.
  5. Repeat number 2ā€¦SLOW, take your timeā€¦the bigger your shipā€¦heheā€¦you will see.

Elite Dangerous is a sci-fy ā€˜space simā€™ā€¦embrace the ā€˜simā€™. If you like more ā€œarcadeā€ type gamesā€¦you are not going to enjoy this so much. This sim makes your work for its accomplishmentsā€¦which may leave your loved ones wondering what your exactly doing in your free timeā€¦however, once you get over your first through space bumps, they game rewards with you with feelings of truly accomplishing the task.

1 Like

Lol I got to where I could land my ship rather well. I was putting it exactly in the center of the landing pad. The problem was it wouldnā€™t dock. I didnā€™t realise that you had to be facing a certain direction. How do you tell which direction you need to approach from? So far, everything I have docked on has the landing pad on the outside of the station so there are a lot of different ways to approach.

Why couldnā€™t you guys have wanted to pick this up before ARK came out? :smiling_imp: I stopped playing because no one was interested at the time. Now I am hooked on ARK. They both are huge time sinks.

Now I am more tempted to get it and annoy Dig.

@h2daddy I believe on the outpostsā€¦once you located the padā€¦there is a ā€œTowerā€ at the ā€˜frontā€™ of the padā€¦Once i log on i will confirm thisā€¦but your want to be facing this tower when landing.

I will look for that when I get back on. I have a bad habit of requesting docking before I know where anything is. Then it takes me a couple of minutes to find the pad. By then, I just come in from whatever direction Iā€™m heading in.

Yeah that outpost you have to fly around it sometimesā€¦based on your ship size determines which type of landing padā€¦i pretty cut throttle and use side thrusters to just kite around the station till i find it

So I purchased the xbox one version of Elite Dangerousā€¦The controls are obviously completely different. So even having played before on the PC, i can understand the learning curve here on the console with the controller. That being saidā€¦the good thing at the moment is everyone is on the same baseline. Any players you encounter in the game are limited to the controller as well.

I did some searching around and from what I can find, there are currently no joystick support for the xbox one. However, I did find various sites with rumors that logitech is currently trying to work on a joystick for the xbox one. No prospective dates, just rumored.

With that all being saidā€¦ I will be checking out the XB1 version more. Look forward to seeing other players on it. Will post more tips about Controls as I discover them myself. If anyone has something specific they are wondering about the game or in-game mechanicsā€¦continue to post in here and I will look into it. Trying to convert PC experience in this game over to Xbox version as much as possible.

I will be on later this afternoon and tonight. Maybe we can get together and you can teach me a thing or two.

Right onā€¦i finally got my controls setup the way i like them. Was playing in the CQC testing them outā€¦loving it.

I get to the combat training with Cobra Face-Off and get my ass kicked. Should I just worry about docking and travel or is it critical to get through all training first?

in the training missionsā€¦I would do the first missionā€¦Shooting canistersā€¦and get your control layout set up first to how you would like to flyā€¦get familiar with that first, then proceed from there.

Having played flight sims beforeā€¦ on my left stick i have ā€œpitchā€ and ā€œlateral thrustersā€ā€¦on my right stick i have ā€œrollā€ and ā€œvertical thrustersā€.

My yaw settings are set as low roll.

Yeah love looking around inside the ship. Not sure how to access the upper left panel with messaging and other tabs.

Sorry Enyobellona, I just saw where you sent me a message last night. I must have been away from my Xbox. I was in a wing with a guy from another group I play with. He was planning my trade routes and basically answering all my questions. You jumped into our party but I couldnā€™t hear you. After last night, the game has its hooks in me. Got to where making 5 hop trading missions became second nature. Just having someone show you how to do things really helps. The size of this game is unbelievable. Now I just need to build up some more credits. Currently Iā€™m messing around with Elite Dangerous Database so I can learn to plot my own trade routes.

Sjam, hold the x button and up on the directional pad (I think).

@RTuTTle86 @h2daddy @anon3687162

Yeah you can access comms via the ā€œx + upā€ hotkey or by clicking the RS and free looking at the comms panel and pressing ā€œAā€. Also when looking at the various panelsā€¦utilize the Left and RIght Bumpers to cycles through tabs.

First recommend fitting upgradesā€¦Power Plant

I suck at space combat, or at least tracking where my team mates are. I still donā€™t understand the Kill Warrant Scanner (might be a range thing).

But I can navigate and pilot the ship. Even stick the landing on first attempt, might not look too pretty but that shit is docked. Save for the one time I went to put my landing gear down and hit Boost by mistake. Smashing my ship into a nearby tower and sending it plummeting through space.

1 Like

I still havenā€™t tried any combat yet. Iā€™m a big chicken . I was watching a video were one of the developers was playing cqc against people around a spec statio. WOW. Talk about some flying skills. I got a snow day today. If I can keep my kids off the Xbox, Iā€™m going to try and earn some credits.

I canā€™t figure out why this game continues me wanting to play. Typically I would have raged and said screw it by now.

I have played for 3 days now and yet to accomplish one mission. Fucking last night got a fine for loitering since I was busy chatting in party chat and not realizing that I was authorized to leave the base.

Took a mission to deliver some medicine, then took a while to figure out how to get to delivery station. Finally get there and my docking request continually was denied. Not sure if the station was full (I doubt) or it is the fine I owe or what the issue was. Base kept telling me to follow protocol.

That alone should have made me say fuck this game. Yet I look forward to playing it again.