Far Cry 5 : Tips, Tricks and Pointers

I do not. Pretty sure I never finished one of the previous ones.
Is there any decent MP in this Far Cry?

Some more tips.

In Far Cry 5, you now discover everything by simply exploring. In addition, the 3D map is now detailed enough that you can clearly see major landmarks and locations, which makes it easy to identify and mark new areas to explore.

And as you’re traveling, keep an eye out. Road signs reveal hunting spots, maps found inside building mark nearby buildings for you, and magazines tell you about fishing and hunting areas. If you talk to non-player characters, they’ll tell you about nearby missions, outposts, and prepper stashes. Far Cry 5 is game that wants you to live in its world–so make sure to explore every interesting landmark or curious detail. You never know what you’ll find!

Complete the Side Missions for Special Unlockables

Far Cry 5 brings in actual side missions, each with their own unique dialogue, narrative arcs, and gameplay. From simple missions like saving people from drugged up bears, to letting cows have sex to Marvin Gaye music so you can chop off their testicles for the annual Testicle Festival (yeah, that’s a real thing in this game), you’ll find plenty of mini-adventures to embark on. If you ever stumble upon any side missions, make sure to complete them, as you can also get some pretty sweet rewards – like new weapons or beefed-up vehicles with guns attached to them that you can’t normally find anywhere in the world.

Get the Weapon Slot Skill Upgrades ASAP

As in past games in the series, you want to prioritize expanding the number of weapons you can carry as soon as possible. These upgrades are acquired via the game’s skill tree, as opposed to the crafting system. The sooner you can unlock these skills, the sooner you can start wreaking havoc with a more diverse set of weaponry.

Get the Lockpick and Repair Torch Perks

Far Cry 5 has plenty of locked doors and safes for you to open. Most times, you can find a key or combination hidden nearby, or blow a safe open with explosives. But if you want to avoid the trouble, try investing in both the Lockpick and Repair Torch skills. Both are handy for accessing hidden stashes containing weapons, ammo, or money. Heck, you can even use the Repair Torch to repair broken-down vehicles.

Make Money Quickly by Hunting or Uncovering Prepper Stashes

If you kill an animal with arrows or melee attacks, you’ll obtain double the skins that you normally would by killing it with a gun. And when used in conjunction with the Harvest Master perk (which doubles your rewards from animals), $200 worth of feathers becomes $400, and $450 worth of cougar skins nets you $900. This comes highly recommended if you’re going to resort to hunting as your main source of money-making.

Aside from hunting, you should also keep an eye out for safes, which are usually inside buildings. With the Repair Torch or Locksmith perk, you can easily open them to access their valuables… but in a pinch, placing an explosive on them will also do the trick.

The final method is Prepper Stashes, which are side missions that task you to solve some light environmental puzzles in exchange for a pile of loot. Whether it’s by swimming across a river, shooting the lock off a door from afar, or navigating a barn full of beehives, your reward is a stack of cash, a couple of magazines that give you free Perk Points, and other goodies like new weapons. We highly recommend pursuing Prepper Stashes; not only are the rewards well worth it, but they’re some of the best missions in the game.

Far Cry 5 Fishing Guide - How to Fish, All Fishing Perks and Challenges, Fishing Locations, How to Beat Far Cry 5 Fishing Records

Far Cry 5 Fishing Challenges and Perks

If you press either the touch pad on the Dualshock 4, or the select button on the Xbox One controller, you can scroll over to the Challenges tab with the bumper buttons. If you then head over to the Hunting tab within the Challenges, you’ll see at the very bottom of the page that there are Challenges relating to every different type of fish in Far Cry 5, including: Bull Trout, Kokanees, Arctic Graylings, Golden Trout, Rock Bass, Smallmouths, Largemouths, Lake Trout, Rainbow Trout, Chinooks, Pallid Sturgeons, and Paddlefish.

Once you’ve completed any of these challenges, which are done by simply catching one of each type of fish, you’ll unlock a Perk Point, which you can then spend over in the Perks tab of the menu. In the very top-most row of the Survivalist category, you’ll see that you can unlock the Fisher King Perk using four Perks Points, which will cause fish to tire quicker while you’re reeling them in, as well as unlocking new types of flies for heavier fish. You can equip new types of flies to your rod by pressing Triangle/Y before you cast the line out into the water, and you’ll need more powerful flies if you want to catch bigger fish, for Cheeseburger or for simply selling.

Far Cry 5 Fishing Locations

Here are the easiest fishing locations to get to in Far Cry 5, when you’re starting out from Dutch’s Island at the beginning of the game.

• Kokanee Salmon - You can find a fishing spot, along with a vendor, directly to the north west of Dutch’s Island, north of Clagett Bay and Elk Jaw Lodge.
  • Bull Trout - We mentioned this location previously, but it’s directly north from Dutch’s Island and into the main river that runs up into Jacob’s territory, which eventually turns into the Moccassin River.
  • Chinook Salmon - You can either find a more secluded fishing spot for the Chinook as part of Cheeseburger’s quest, or you can find it west and a little bit south of the FANG Center, on the Moccassin River.

Far Cry 5 Kokanee Salmon Locations

Just below, you can find all the fishing locations for Kokanee Salmon in Far Cry 5, most of which are mainly featured in the northern part of the map, which belongs to Jacob.

Far Cry 5 Bull Trout Locations

There are two neat Bull Trout fishing locations just to the south of Dutch’s Island, as well one spot just to the north of the island in Jacob’s territory.

Far Cry 5 Chinook Salmon Locations

As you can see, there are several convenient fishing spots for Chinook Salmon situated right near the FANG Center, where you unlock Cheeseburger the Bear.

Far Cry 5 Golden Trout Locations

The Golden Trout of Far Cry 5 are mainly located in the center of the Far Cry 5 map, right around the compound from which you first start out the entire game.

Far Cry 5 Rainbow Trout Locations

The Rainbow Trout are mainly located in John’s region of the game, and you can find three spots fairly close to one another in the northern parts of the area.

Far Cry 5 Pallid Sturgeon Locations

There are two handy Pallid Sturgeon fishing locations right around the Lamb of God Church in the bottom left area of John’s region, situated on the river that snakes around the church itself.

Far Cry 5 Lake Trout Locations

There are two Lake Trout locations fairly near to Joseph’s compound in the middle of the map, but otherwise you’ll have to venture far north to find another fishing spot.

Far Cry 5 Paddlefish Sturgeon Locations

All the Paddlefish Sturgeon fishing points in Far Cry 5 are located in the southern area of John’s region, situated near the Lamb of God Church and Fall’s End.

Far Cry 5 Rock Bass Locations

All the Rock Bass fishing spots are found in Faith’s region, and you can find two fairly close together on the banks of the southern river.

Far Cry 5 Largemouth Bass Locations

You’ll want to hit up the eastern edge of Faith’s region for the Largemouth Bass, as you can find two fishing points in the river that runs along the eastern edge of the map.

Far Cry 5 Smallmouth Bass Locations

There are various fishing points for the Smallmouth Bass in Far Cry 5, all of which are situated on the rivers in Faith’s region.

Far Cry 5 Fishing Records

In all three regions of Far Cry 5, you can find a notice board which will challenge you to catch different sizes of certain types of fish. These Regional Boards can be found in Fall’s End, Hope’s Den, and Hope County Jail, and as you can see just below, each board details all the current size records for each type of fish out there in the wild.

Once you’ve seen the Regional Board, you’ll then have to venture out into the wilds of Far Cry 5 and catch the biggest fish out there. However, large fish can only be caught at spots that are designed ‘Hard’, unlike the standard fishing spots you find throughout the world. As such, we’ve listed every Hard fishing spot that we’ve uncovered in the wilds so far just below, so you can visit each one and use it to beat the regional fishing record.
Far Cry 5 Hard Fishing Spots Locations

Jacob’s Region:

• Chinook Salmon - On the banks of the river directly north west of the FANG Center.
  • Golden Trout - Almost dead in the center of Silver Lake, directly west of Drubman Marina, or south of Baron Lumber Mill.

John’s Region:

• Chinook Salmon - Head straight up the river that begins from Clagett Bay.
  • Rainbow Trout - On the western bank of the river directly in the center of the map of Far Cry 5, directly east from Rae-Rae’s Pumpkin Farm.
  • Pallid Sturgeon - Hit the river directly below Rye & Son’s Aviation, and then head east until the river forks, with the fishing spot being on your left.
  • Golden Trout - This can be found on the river directly below Rye & Son’s Aviation, and slightly to the west.
  • Lake Trout - Start at Rye & Son’s Aviation, and head south west until you hit the section of the river just south of the bridge.
  • Paddlefish Sturgeon - Located on the river directly south of Seed Ranch Cult Outpost.

Faith’s Region:

• Rainbow Trout - Found on the eastern shores of Silver Lake, west of Peaches Taxidermy, or south west from Drubman Marina.
  • Rock Bass - On the river that bends directly around Hope County Jail, but directly west of the jail itself.
  • Largemouth Bass - Head east on the river from Hope County Jail, and you’ll find the fishing point on the southern most bend of the river.
  • Golden Trout - Keep heading east on the same river from Hope County Jail, and this fishing spot can be found directly east on the map from the jail itself.
  • Smallmouth Bass - Found on the eastern edges of the entire map, directly east from Moonflower Trailer Park and next to a Clutch Nixon stunt point.

As you can probably tell from the ‘Hard’ denotion on the names of the fishing spots listed above in Far Cry 5, the fish are signicantly more challenging to catch in these areas, but they’re all larger than the fish you’d find in any other fishing spots. This means that although you’ll have to take some decent bait with you to land a few bigger fish, it’s worth the effort if you want to beat all the regional fishing records in the game.

1 Like

I spent 2 hours fishing for the state record small mouth last night (never got it). I really enjoy the fishing once the area has been cleared of Eden’s gate.

1 Like

I was fishing for the Salmon to give to Cheeseburger and got blown up by a bomber…sucked.

So You can’t run from the story if the story wants you.

I am in Jacob’s area. It was time for our battle and I was starting to see the bliss take over me and “Only You” was playing. I wanted to do some science so I jumped off a cliff and started wing suiting across the map. I almost made it out of Jacob’s zone then poof. I pass out mid flight and wake up in Jacob’s cell.

While I am fine with them forcing you to do story stuff at certain points this kinda kills any immersion. Obviously I would have died passing out mid flight and crashing to the ground. This is no way kills the game for me but just thought it was a weird design choice.

Yeah, that’s really my only complaint - and it’s minor. But, being in a gun fight after being marked, and then suddenly you’re snatched out of nowhere and bam, you wake up somewhere.

Also, I want this strength all the time:

If you want the achievement for punching a bull between the eyes with bare hands do not buy and equip brass knuckles. I cannot unequip them to save my life and the achievement will not work with them on.

I would have to start a new play through to get it if I can’t get them off. Which isn’t going to happen since you only get 1 save file.

Well, that sucks

Found a work around…

Kicking the bull rather than punching it should unlock the trophy also.

Found it on the Ubi forums.

1 Like

i have the wing suit unlocked but cant figure out how to use it.

Click the left stick

i thought i had wingsuit unlocked but i didnt…

thanks

Just be careful the first time you use it…it can be tricky and those trees are unforgiving.