Fixed / Customized my Elite Controller

Fuck that. I’m gonna buy a new one and then return the broken one. I can’t be bothered to do all that work and to probably fuck it up more.

2 Likes

It is a pain in the ass. There are a few trouble spots. The small ribbon cable and it’s connector and the bluetooth sync button. I used cheap Chinese parts for the color change and they didn’t quite fit correctly, you had to force a few things.

I’m hoping mine holds out to the V2 Elite and I’m hoping that’s designed to be a bit more durable. The bumpers on the current model are garbage.

If you are taking them apart, you want to mess with as little as possible. They are certainly a pain in the ass to put back together.
I modded a 360 controller once by adding LED’s in all the buttons and tying them to the rumble motors. It was a pretty cool look, but a giant pain in the ass.

Everything we know about ‘Spider,’ the next Xbox Elite Controller

Leaked via Chinese site Baidu and later confirmed by The Verge, the new Xbox Elite Controller looks to be an iterative update on the original controller, which came with a range of premium features (and at a premium $150 price point).

The original Xbox Elite Controller supported Xbox Wireless, but only supported USB for PC connectivity. It sported two separate profiles for configurable button mapping, as well as locks for the triggers, making them activate more quickly. It also came with four additional buttons on the reverse of the controller in the form of paddles, which could be configured and removed at will. Additionally, the joysticks on the original Elite controller came with extra options, both from first and third-party vendors. Longer joystick options increased the distance from the pivot, for example, allowing for more precision without sacrificing turn speed. The directional pad also came with more robust options too.

The new Xbox Elite Controller seems to be a little more of an “evolution” rather than revolution at this point, but from what we’re hearing from our own sources as well as those posted on various forums, it looks set to improve on the original controller in every way.
Codename ‘Spider’ Rumored features

It appears that the codename for the new Elite controller appears to be “Spider,” according to our sources, perhaps in reference to the elongated paddles on the reverse side looking almost like spider legs.

The rumored feature set for the updated controller includes a three-stage hair trigger lock. This means that you will be able to adjust the amount of trigger depression far more than previously, which only supported a single on/off stage. When the triggers are locked, it means activation is much faster, which can be advantageous when using handguns and burst rifles in games.

Another feature rumored to be on the way to the new Elite controller is tension control for the joysticks. Microsoft filed a patent specifically to allow users to control the tension of joystick movement previously (via The Verge), the pictures leaked via Baidu appear to confirm that feature. Supposedly, this will allow users to control the amount of resistence you experience when you push the sticks. The original Elite Controller was criticized as being a little too resistive vs. the regular controllers in some circumstances.

Some other rumored features include an additional configuration profile, making for a total of three. USB Type-C connectivity, longer key travel for the reverse paddles, and, according to the leaked image above, revised rubber grips.
Bluetooth, charge dock?

According to our sources and the original leak, Bluetooth support is in for connectivity to PCs, which is also a given. The most recent versions of the regular Xbox controller support Bluetooth, so that’s a bit of a no-brainer. However, more interestingly, it seems that the new Elite controller has built-in batteries too, and a unique charging port on the reverse of the device, which has been described as “MagSafe-like” by the original information.

Our sources indicate that the new Elite Controller might, in-fact, have some sort of propietary charge dock, perhaps for display and fast-charging functionality. The “docking” mechanism might simply be a propietary cable, but since the controller supports USB Type-C, it seems unlikely that Microsoft would introduce two separate cable charge methods, a full dock seems more likely.

Controller Gear already offers high-quality charging docks for Xbox controllers, it looks as though Microsoft might be working on its own solution.

The LED lights on the front of the controller might be specifically to show off battery life levels when the controller is docked, or in-use on PC, where battery life levels aren’t as easy to see as they are on Xbox One.
Other secrets

It’s entirely likely the next Elite Controller has other secrets up its sleeve. Maybe it will support the Xbox Design Lab for customization, complete with customization for the docks, similarly to the high-quality multi-color solutions offered by Controller Gear. Perhaps the front-facing LEDs have other functions beyond battery life, showing signal strength and active config profiles.

Microsoft also previously filed patents for fully customizable and removable triggers, so that could make an appearance too.

Either way, it seems that the new Xbox Elite Controller is almost ready for the prime time, considering it’s leaking via, presumeably manufacturing sources. Expect it to make an official appearance anywhere between now and E3 2018 in June.

If they don’t fix the bumpers (metal parts) I won’t be getting one. I have 2 broken Elites and my Razer Wolverine fits my needs better than the Elite.

I do wish the Wolverine had metal parts and removable paddles, but overall it is out performing the elite as far as reliability and accuracy of button pushes (mechanical buttons vs squishy membrane buttons like on the Elite).

If they added the metal parts to the bumpers and added mechanical buttons then I could be swayed back to the elite.

Someone should program a cnc and machine some metal parts for aftermarket upgrades.

2 Likes

I just can’t get over how poorly designed those bumpers are. They really need to address that. I’m surprised they’re both just not hinged like how the triggers are. I’m sure someone will have a dismantling video of the new controller when they come out. We’ll see what they do then.

Wouldn’t be that hard if you have a good mill. You could do the contours by hand. I would if I have the equipment

I just fixed both controllers. The break down video makes this look much tougher than it is. For both types of controllers, it can be done in 10-15 minutes depending on how delicate you want to proceed.

1 Like

Yeah I fixed mine yesterday, but now My headset is fucked. I think I have to open it up again and realign mt port and board for the adapter. I used a different video then this one.

It’s a royal pain in the ass. The parts and cables are so small.

Went on Ebay to see what I could get for my broken Elites. I will never take the time to fix them. Around $40.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR5.TRC1.A0.H0.Xxbox+elite+controller+broke.TRS0&_nkw=xbox+elite+controller+broke&_sacat=0

I tried to fix mine after the bumper broke and made a big mess out of it. Gave it to Destroyer and bought a new one and he fixed it in about 3 hours. Took so long because he had to take it apart 3 times to get all the parts lined up correctly. It is more or less a throw away with the goofy design and the replacement parts that don’t fit exactly right. I use the paddles for the bumpers now so I don’t wear them out so fast. I actually broke my TB headsets and gave them to him after I bought new ones and he fixed those and is still using them.

I’m hoping mine holds out until the Elite Version 2 comes out. And I’ll wait on a desconstruction video to see what the insides look like before I splurge.

The paddles are worrying me. I use them for everything and I can feel them starting to give. I’ve had it 2 years now (almost) and treat it well. Minus the spilling of beer that one time. Pretty disappointed with the overall quality of the thing for the price point. Hoping V2 shows great improvement.

I have thought about getting an Elite controller but then I read and see reviews talking about plastic parts breaking. Then I start eyeballing the Scuf controllers. Starting at $130 USD it seems worth the extra price to have a more rugged controller. Anyone tried one?

Elite Bumper repairs are as simple as popping the home plate off taking off the broken bumper and putting on a new one and then back on the face plate.

Xbox one bumper is even easier with popping off the shoulder bumper off the swivel.

With both, you just have to do the first 5 screws and nothing more.

I think this PoS finally gave up the ghost.

Last night I started having a new problem. When I push the left stick in it triggers my right trigger. So I couldn’t run in Destiny, I’d shoot.

The problem is intermittent I was hoping it was just a glitch on my XBox but that doesn’t seem to be the case. I’m not sure if it’s hardware or what. Probably is.

Looks like i’ll be slumming it with a standard controller. I won’t buy a new Elite, or at least an Elite v1. There are rumors a v2 is coming so maybe I’ll check that out.

Really disappointed with this controller. 150 bucks and it’s built so poorly.

1 Like

It really is a shame the amount of issues I’ve heard about. It’s a beautiful controller, but sad to say even tho price usually reflects quality, it doesn’t seem to in this case.

If I didn’t have someone pay for half a few years ago, I wouldn’t have purchased one. Mine is three years old and it’s starting to feel like it’s going to give up any day now. The buttons aren’t as responsive anymore and my right trigger is sticking.