Friday the 13th - The Game

Adam Sessler announced this kickstarter this morning - Friday the 13th. 1 v 7 gameplay, play as Jason or the counselors.

And it’s being funded through Kickstarter. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/613356213/friday-the-13th-the-game?ref=category_newest

So…why Kickstarter over a publisher?

Why not partner with a publisher?

Great question. We love working with publishers, most of them are great companies to work alongside. Fans of the “Friday the 13th” film series know that when it comes to Jason Voorhees, violence, gore and nudity aren’t just concepts to consider – they’re necessities. Collectively, we wanted to make certain that this game delivers the same kind of fun, brutal scares and creative kills that the franchise is known for and didn’t want to risk having to tell our story with a “T” for Teen rating. We don’t want that. You don’t want that.

We’re not interested in compromising what made the film franchise so popular. We’re interested in building precisely what we, as fans, want. The ultimate Friday the 13th experience. Blood, guts, gore, brutal kills, and more. You want an experience true to the films, and so do we. It’s about creative control and delivering the best game we can. We want to share that control, with you, not a publisher.

3 Likes

No Tit & Ass like in the movies so I will pass on this ( can you imagine Tuttle , playing as a female character ,running around topless , screaming for help … To funny to even think about )

1 Like

Actually, I took what I quoted as they were going to add T&A to it - which is why they didn’t want a publisher.

Well then !!! Fuck yea I will buy it !!!

And the story I read this morning said they were partnering with Sean Cunningham (creator of Friday the 13th) and Kane Hodder to make it bigger, badder and official.

I’ll definetly take a look.

It’s just getting better.

New images and some brutal-sounding gameplay details for the upcoming Friday the 13th game were shared this week at PAX South. First, the images. The game’s official Twitter account shared some new renders of the Jason Voorhees character model based on his appearance in 1982’s Friday the 13th: Part III.

Even more images are available in the gallery below.

Additionally, during a panel, developers announced a handful of new kill animations that players will be able to use as Jason. We already knew Friday the 13th would be a brutal game–and these new animations bear that out for sure. As reported by iDigitalTimes, the new kill animations include:

Jason rips off your leg and walks away with it.
Jason slits your throat and drowns you in a toilet.
Jason folds you in half in a beach chair.
Jason crushes your head in a TBA metal object.
Jason curbstomps your spine.
Jason rips the top of your skull off.
Jason smashes you against a tree in your sleeping bag a la Friday the 13th Part VII

“There’s a lot of brutal kills,” the game’s co-creator and designer Ronnie Hobbs said. “If we get away with half of this stuff it’ll be a miracle.”

When Friday the 13th: The Game was announced back in October 2015, developers said they had no plans to tone things down when it came to blood and gore.

“We’re not interested in compromising what made the film franchise so popular. We’re interested in building precisely what we, as fans, want: The ultimate Friday the 13th experience,” they said at the time. Blood, guts, gore, brutal kills, and more. You want an experience true to the films, and so do we. It’s about creative control and delivering the best game we can. We want to share that control, with you, not a publisher."

Developer Gun Media worked with Hollywood effects veteran Tom Savini (Dawn of the Dead, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2) for the creation of the game’s kill animations. During the motion-capture process, actor Kane Hodder (who played Jason in the movies and is also working on the game), sustained a pretty serious-looking injury to his tricep [gross picture warning] when performing the sleeping bag kill–though it’s apparently healing up just fine.

Friday the 13th: The Game is in development at Gun Media and Illfonic with the full support of franchise creator Sean Cunningham. It’s a third-person, asymmetrical multiplayer game for Xbox One, PS4, and PC.

The hook is that one player controls Jason Voorhees, while seven others take control of camp counselors who are attempting to survive the night. Speaking during the panel, Illfonic’s Chuck Brungardt said the campers can resort to any means necessary to survive–betrayal may come into the mix.

“You can’t trust people to work together,” he said.

The character classes include nerd, jock, and bad boy (among others), and each has their own perks and abilities. In this way, some amount of strategy will factor in.

“The nerd can fix the truck quickly, for example, but can’t run fast. So the jock might want to help him gather heavy parts and tools and then, when Jason shows up, leave the slow, unlucky nerd behind,” iDigitalTimes reported.

Illfonic creative director Kedhrin Gonzalez added: “You give players the control to in some way screw each other over.”

Be sure to read the full iDigitalTimes story to learn more about all of the announcements and details divulged during the PAX South panel.

Friday the 13th: The Game is tentatively scheduled to launch in October 2016 for Xbox One, PS4, and PC. For more on the game, which was successfully funded on Kickstarter, read GameSpot’s previous coverage.

1 Like

This is the most interesting game I’ve heard of in a while, hope it lives up to hype.

If they pull off that 7 on 1 mode in the spirit of the movies, this could be one of the sleeper hits of the year.

1 Like

I listened to one of the developers talk about this game earlier this year before. At the time they had just been approached by the Friday the 13th people to put Jason in it. Before it was just a killer in a summer camp but the gameplay could be a lot of fun. One of his gameplay examples he liked was that you can work together to escape the killer using different characters attributes. Say you had a group of five that worked together to fix the car and escape but only four people fit in the car. You then have to fight it out to survive. It could be a fun grg game.

A little teaser…literally

Creepy. I just want to play as Jason an fold someone in half and put their face in a toilet, preferably LaLa

Gun Media and Illfonic released two new videos for their upcoming survival horror title Friday the 13th: The Game.

The first video is the second in the bi-weekly Development Update videos.

The second video is another short gameplay teaser revolving around vehicles.

You can still back this game at Kickstarter.

Friday the 13th: The Game is still scheduled for an October release on Xbox One.

1 Like

Now it’s starting to look good!

There’s no better day to play hide and seek with a deranged supernatural serial killer than on a Friday. Illfonic has been fairly consistent about keeping fans in the loop on the developmental progress of the upcoming multiplayer slasher, Friday the 13th: The Game.

Continuing the trend, two new gameplay videos have recently been released to remind players the brutality of Jason. The first is a quick overlook of the Higgins Haven map followed by a Jason door kill of an innocent female counselor who unfortunately chose the wrong door to exit. The
second is alpha footage of why it’s best to not play hide and seek with a maniac. Both videos show promise of the level of intensity being brought into the game and are neither for the squeamish.

A saying likely first whispered around the camp fires of Crystal Lake, “you can run but you can’t hide.” Jason comes to Xbox One this October.

Freaking hilarious, yet creepy scary, should be a good change of pace game. Looking forward to killing GRG members in toilets & lawn chairs.

1 Like

Looks fucking brutal! I will be keeping an eye on this one for sure. Can’t wait to see more polished gameplay.

Newest trailer…game is out next month.

@Azalin4savioR please get this game, jk

I’ve been interested but need to see some more gameplay footage.

1 Like