Headed to Austin 2 Days (Suggestions?)

Greetings GRG Texas Folks - I fly in tomorrow night (Sunday) and back out Tuesday Night. I can’t do Franklin’s because of the wait and work obligations but would love any beer, wine, food, atmosphere recommendations.

@TEXENT or @Lala_Calamari who else lives in Texas?
@Bigfish have any Austin suggestions?

Texas? Wtf. Next you’ll call me a cowboys fan.

1 Like

God no, I know you love those Iggles. But I figured you would know who else was in Texas and if anyone was in Austin. I know you are totally Taylor Pork Roll and Yuengling country through and through.

1 Like

Man I’d love to help but I don’t really know Austin at all. It’s not far from SA but I haven’t been in years. Sorry dude.

If it’s possible to get out to The Salt Lick bbq then it’s worth it. Are you gonna be stuck in town?

Wife is down there right now visiting family. I haven’t been in a while to recommend food and drinks but go stand at the Congress Avenue bridge at night. I think it is about 1.5 million bats come out to feed around sunset. August is peak time as well I believe as the population is higher from babies being born in June.

So many good places to eat, a couple are a bit out of town but here are a couple in the city.

Threadgills (chicken fried steak)
Valentinas
Gueros
Matt’s El Rancho

1 Like

I’ll try to do the Congress Ave bridge, that is near my hotel so it was on my radar.

Unfortunately @TheBodyFarmer I am stuck in town, but I might try to swing Salt Lick this afternoon when I land since there is nothing on my itinerary until tomorrow. I’ll check to see how far those places are from my hotel. I’ll be coming back at least once per quarter so I hope to find some solid “Go-Tos”

Austin is one place I’d want to explore more. I have been there only once and that was before smart phones. I was pretty much in and out of town quickly so I didn’t see or eat anything. Wish I could help, but would love to get your take on it.

1 Like

I love me some Chicken Fried Steak, so Threadgill’s might be the choice!

1 Like

Hard to beat chicken fried steak…top 3 meal in our house!!

Doing Threadgill’s and the bridge tonight. Two birds with one stone

2 Likes

I suggest jumping off the bridge.

1 Like

maybe let the bats bite you and get rabies first.

1 Like

Threadgill’s CFS was pretty legit. Fried Okra, Mashed Potatoes and Mac & Cheese. It wasn’t a monster like I was expecting but it was tender, great breading and good gravy. I started with the Fried Pickles which were some of the best I’ve had.

Finished it off with some carrot cake and I drank like 2 gallons of Iced Tea.

4 Likes

4 Likes