Help with figuring out a Video card for my Gaming Desktop build

PC gamers while I work IT and currently have a gaming desktop I am in need of an upgrade desperately. My currently set-up is only running a 600 series Nvidia card with an 8 core AMD processor and 16 gigs of ram. My question is can you guys recommend a newer video card (for a completely new build) I might want to focus around as I want my desktop to be more powerful then my laptop which is an HP Omen with a 1060GTX but don’t want to make my laptop my all day use machine since it gets moved around so much. Oh and I will be going with the Intel i7 in all likelihood as processor and at minimum 16 gigs of ram don’t know why I’d go with fewer then i currently have in a machine thats at least 5 years old. Doesn’t have to be like the brand new/just released Nvidia cards I’m not that extreme as you can tell with my older machine. Thanks for any input and sorry for long post

2 Likes

Nvidia just released the GTX 1660 ti. It is a sub $300 card. I think it performs a little under what a 1070 does but is cheaper. Most full size 1070 run close to $400.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1660-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070/4037vs3609

I would stay away from the RTX cards simply for the fact that you are paying for Ray Tracing and it doesn’t sound like you care about that at this point. I have one and love it. It just doesn’t sound like the card for you.

2 Likes