Most anticipated Xbox Releases from 1st quarter of 2019

We just wrapped up an awesome year of games. From titles big to small, there was something for everyone and we’ve reached that point in a generation where developers are really hitting their stride with the current generation consoles and for a few years we just get bombarded with amazing new games month after month. The latest thrill ride arguably began in 2017 and continued on through last year, and it looks as though 2019 will be another flurry of memorable titles. Here are our most anticipated big budget and AA video games of early 2019.

What are most looking forward to playing with GRG or with yourself?

Resident Evil 2

The first major title of the year will come from Capcom, which at this point has officially become a trend. The Japanese developer-publisher has owned January for three years running now and this year’s early offering may just be the biggest so far. People have been waiting a long time for the Resident Evil 2 remake, and having played it at E3, we can confirm it’s looking great, keeping the old school atmosphere of the original game while offering some modern conveniences like the removal of horrendous tank controls.

KINGDOM HEARTS III

Resident Evil 2 probably won’t be the biggest game of the month, but only because a game almost two decades in the making is finally arriving. Kingdom Hearts fans have been clamoring for the finale to Sora’s story for 16 years, which is a really long time to hold onto the details of that convoluted plot, but few fanbases are more passionate and this launch will really feel like a belated Christmas present for the fans.

Trials Rising

The true to itself Trials experience is returning early in 2019 and it’s bringing with it some new features that fans will adore. For one, the customization options go deeper than ever with modular parts made available on each body section, so you can combine pre-existing clothing and accessories to make your own unique and totally ridiculous (and soon to be broken) rider. Secondly, a new tandem racing mode gives two players control over the same racer, which can make the game either much easier or much more difficult — and probably hilarious on the way.

Crackdown 3

Speaking of long-awaited games, once upon a time Crackdown 3 was revealed to be an Xbox One exclusive before it survived the rounds and years of such games getting canceled, like Fable Legends and Scalebound . Now with an infusion of Terry Crews, it’s ready to launch in February — directly into Game Pass for subscribers too. With 5v5 multiplayer modes taking advantage of the game’s much heralded cloud-based destruction and a range of over-the-top powers to unleash, players will soon, at long last, be able to jump into this futuristic action-adventure game and step up their boom.

Far Cry New Dawn

It may seem too soon for another Far Cry as this one launches just about one year from the launch of Far Cry 5 , but when you consider that this has been the series’ normal schedule — main entry launch followed by a spinoff some few months later — it’s not actually that weird. With 3 we got Blood Dragon and following 4 there was Primal . Now Far Cry 5 is followed by the post-apocalyptic New Dawn . It’s the end of the world as we know it… and you’ll not be feeling fine.

Metro Exodus

Metro as a series has always been a bit quieter than most everything else on this list, but the sequel looks like it’s finally getting the polish it deserves. We played it ourselves at PAX and came away thinking like it tiptoes the line of evolution and tradition. Stealth sections were a lot of fun and the game reacted to how we wanted to play in satisfying ways. It’s the kind of series that could’ve likely never saw another video game sequel, and for the many fans who sing its praises to a wider audience that often neglects it, this is their moment.

Jump Force

There are several high profile fighting games coming out in the early months of 2019, but the most interesting one may be Jump Force , a mash-up of several anime properties like Naruto , Dragon Ball , and One Piece . It’s the kind of dream scenario for which genre fans always want but maybe don’t expect to get, but happily their wishes have come true.

Anthem

BioWare and EA are betting on their next massive property, a space adventure service game, Anthem , which is meant to go toe-to-toe with Destiny . Fan opinion has been somewhat split on this new IP, with some not enjoying the idea of BioWare doing something less story-driven, though it’s been a talking point from the studio to promise there’s still plenty of story there for those seeking it, only its delivery will be sort of different this time around. If that doesn’t get you excited, perhaps the recently teased Dragon Age sequel will do it for you.

Devil May Cry 5

Revealed at E3 2018 after plenty of speculation, Devil May Cry 5 will likely keep Capcom’s first half of 2019 very strong. The sequel garnered enormous applause at Xbox’s press conference and since then it’s been a steady stream of information that has kept fans satiated but always eager for more. The character action series is finally back in the hands of those who brought it to life in the first place and March’s launch can’t come soon enough.

Tom Clancy’s The Division 2

The Division was a bigger hit than it seems like even Ubisoft expected and they’re hoping this sequel can build on that success. With the virus contained, the story moves from New York City to Washington D.C. to depict the world trying to come back from the chaos. The only thing that stands in their way is themselves, and it’ll take all survivors working together to bring civilization back from the brink, so naturally that plan is a total failure and things are still terrible.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

The last major game of the first quarter may also be the most intriguing. From Software’s next title is, as they’ve made clear, not a soulslike, but given their pedigree at this point, most people seem just fine with that. Described by them as an action game, early footage still reveals some intimidating bosses will be coming our way once again. Just to be safe, you may as well prepare to die.

1 Like

Crackdown 3 - maybe
Anthem - maybe
Divison 2 - just take my money

Anthem!!! Probably Jump Force as well.

Division 2 maybe.

Anthem and Division 2

Anthem maybe.
Division 2 possibly.

Division 2 is an absolute. I’ll get this game. I need to see more on Anthem but knowing how weak willed I am I’ll most likely wind up buying it. Probably in a drunken stupor. That’s when I make all my best decisions (like register www.GrimReaperGamers.com or buy Elite Dangerous).

With division 2 coming out, is anyone else worried we wont be able to reference destiny 2 as D2… Still going to pick it up

Anthem
Div 2
Metro Exodus

1 Like

Agreed. D2? Which one. Easier designation. Div2. Leave destiny as D2.

1 Like

Forgot about this one. I will be getting this. might not at release but def when on sale.

I tried to play one of the previous Metro titles, thought I was doing fine until I kept running out of air filters in those sections and ammo everywhere else.

I think I play it too gung-ho.