Netflix Orders The Punisher Series

Confirming reports from earlier this year that it was in development (though Marvel downplayed the possibility at the time), The Punisher - as introduced in Marvel’s Daredevil: Season 2 - is getting his own Netflix spinoff series.

As first reported by Entertainment Weekly, Jon Bernthal will be reprising his role as the tortured vigilante, while Steve Lightfoot, who was a writer and executive producer on Hannibal, will serve as showrunner on Marvel’s The Punisher and write the first two episodes.

“We want to thank the fans who are clamoring for more of Jon’s stunning and powerful performance as Frank Castle from Marvel’s Daredevil,” said Executive Producer/Head of Marvel Television, Jeph Loeb in a press release, “Now combined with Showrunner Steve Lightfoot’s compelling writing, we’re thrilled to bring Marvel’s The Punisher to Netflix.”

Said Lightfoot, in a statement, “For me, the complexity and unpredictability of Frank Castle make him an incredibly compelling character and I couldn’t be more excited to dive into his world. After watching Jon’s performance in Marvel’s Daredevil I could not be more excited to be working with him to further develop and progress the story of this anti-hero in a show of his own.”

How Having a Wife and Kids Prepares You to Play The Punisher
How Having a Wife and Kids Prepares You to Play The Punisher
01:52
Netflix and Marvel Television’s collaboration have five separate series in various stages of production right now: Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones: Season 2, The Defenders – which brings together all three of those heroes, plus Daredevil – and The Punisher. Currently, Daredevil hasn’t been officially renewed for a third season.

It’s not clear whether The Punisher will now also appear in The Defenders in some capacity

6 Likes