NVIDIA unveils Pascal GPU

For those computer “nerds” out there, NVIDIA and it’s partners are at it again:

NVIDIA unveils Pascal GPU: 16GB of memory, 1TB/s bandwidth

…Pascal will bring support for up to 32GB of HBM2 (High Bandwidth Memory). However, the actual products based on Pascal will launch with 16GB HBM2 memory, and more memory will depend solely on memory vendors such as SK.Hynix and Samsung. What is changing the most is bandwidth. Both the Kepler-based Tesla (K40) and Maxwell-based M4/M40 featured 12GB of GDDR5 and achieved up to 288GB/s of memory bandwidth. Those 16GB HBM SDRAM (packed in four 4GB HBM2 chips) will bring 1TB/s in bandwidth, while internally the GPU surpasses the 2TB/s barrier.

These new cards will be mostly for commercial use, and looks like the U.S. Department of Energy is looking to use them to create two new supercomputer systems; “Summit” at Oak Ridge National Laboratory and “Sierra” at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.

**For reference, my GTX 970 is rated a 4GB of GDDR5 and is clocked at 224 GB/s bandwidth and runs Fallout 4 on Ultra @ 60FPS. Shit’s crazy, yo.

Not sure if it is Pascal or not but they also have new consumer cards coming next year. Supposed to be highly over powered compared to current models, take less to power them, and I am guessing it will have 6 to 8 GB of DDR5.

The new cards coming is the only reason I didn’t buy a 980ti this time around.

1 Like