OverkillS the Walking Dead

I just hope that it’s better than that survival shit one.

Overkill Software doesn’t want you to forget that they have a licensed Walking Dead game coming out too. Telltale has received a lot of accolades for their work in the story universe, while Terminal Reality’s entry was universally panned. Where will this latest iteration land? Overkill’s version is a FPS and will eventually have virtual reality support. This trailer previews a little of that among the first gameplay footage we’ve seen of the game, all in addition to some live-action sequences that seem to be aided by the TV show’s amazing makeup effects team.

1 Like

I heard about this a couple of years ago, glad they are still doing it. I haven’t heard anything in years.

The first video is a cinematic trailer that introduces us to the first of four playable characters, Aidan. Formally a suited city type, he now roams a zombie infested Washington D.C. with a spiked baseball bat. Each of the four survivors will have their own abilities, skill trees and team roles. Presumably, Aidan’s skills include leveraging, actioning, stakeholder management and Microsoft Office.

The second video introduces the team at Overkill, which is a Starbreeze Studios studio. We meet directors, producers, artists and level designers who are all hard at work trying to recreate post-apocalyptic D.C.

The final video is a long chat with Twitch Director Marcus “djWHEAT” Graham, Overkill Brand Director Almir Listo and the man behind the franchise himself, Robert Kirkman. They talk at length about the co-op experience, the marriage of narrative and action, D.C. as a location and more.

1 Like

I am looking forward to this.
Hoping it is good.

Since its announcement four years ago, news on OVERKILL’s The Walking Dead has been sparse. We last heard from the game back in December with a trio of videos introducing the development team and one of the game’s four playable characters, as well as an interview with Robert Kirkman and OVERKILL’s Almir Listo. Now the team has released the game’s first developer diary showcasing the neighbourhood of Georgetown.

In the video, a variety of OVERKILL team members introduces players to the historical Washington D.C. neighbourhood, although it’s looking a bit worse for wear now.

You’ll be able to explore the neighbourhood for yourself when the game is released this Fall. Before then, the team has promised that the next developer diary will give a more in-depth look at the game’s walkers

1 Like
1 Like

OVERKILL’s The Walking Dead is looking to give a bit of a different Walking Dead experience that’s inspired by the comics. While we’re all used to Telltale’s take on the series, Overkill will be offering up squad-based FPS combat starring four heroes with unique abilities, kind of like Left 4 Dead, although certainly with plenty of different spins on it. Brutality is featured in the game, with tactical dismemberment being a key component to your survival.

We’ve already met three of the heroes on the squad: Aiden, Grant, and Maya. Today we learned the final hero is Heather. She’s a former kindergarten teacher who now moonlights as a scout. The latest trailer gives a full introduction.

OVERKILL’s The Walking Dead is coming to Xbox One.

Comes out November 6th

It wouldn’t be a zombie story without something coming back from the dead. Robert Kirkman, the creator of The Walking Dead comics which spawned a horror empire, announced today at New York Comic Con that the games division of his label Skybound has agreed to terms with Telltale to finish The Walking Dead: The Final Season. The news was confirmed further via Skybound’s Twitter account.

The announcement also includes the detail that Skybound will contract The Walking Dead 's developers, who were recently laid off amid a “majority studio closure” at Telltale. Kirkman said just days ago at NYCC that he wasn’t yet concerned with having to finish the story via his long-running comics because he was hopeful the games could still do that. It turns out he likely knew more than he was letting on at that time, unless this deal was just finalized over the weekend.

Skybound’s game publishing division arrived onto the scene in April after the label has for many years been used for Kirkman’s comics, such as The Walking Dead and Outcast . Speaking to the entire Walking Dead universe, Kirkman said “Come on, we can’t lose Andrew Lincoln and Clementine in the same year,” referring to the AMC drama’s much publicized approaching exit of its leading star. Rick Grimes’ final season kicks off tomorrow night on AMC. Clementine’s final two episodes, meanwhile, have no solid release date to share at this time.

So Intel sent me a beta key for this. I tried it out last night. The combat is great, the graphics are nice, the maps are linear as fuck. This is not something I would spend $60 on but it is something I would like to play with 3 of my friends. Hopefully Games with Gold or Game Pass get it. If you like Left for Dead you will get some similar feelings from this game.

Console players have to wait another 3-4 months yet.

Shame the maps are so linear.
Be interested to hear more so I can decide whether it’s worth a purchase in 2019.

They extended it through this Sunday I think so I will try to get on again before then. I tried 2 of the 4/5 levels that what were available.

1 Like
1 Like

Short review and short gameplay attempt but I haven’t heard better from anywhere else.

From the trailers I initially thought it looked like an RPG of sorts or perhaps just an immersive on-rails adventure like TLOU but it seems to be more like L4D-lite.

This makes me sad. I’ve been waiting for at least 3 years for this damn game.

OVERKILL’s The Walking Dead Delayed Indefinitely

OVERKILL’s The Walking Dead hasn’t been doing terribly well of late. The game launched to disappointing sales on PC, and the console version of the title was delayed until February 8th while the team worked on improvements. The situation got worse at the start of December when publisher Starbreeze filed for reconstruction, an attempt to raise further funding before the company ceased trading. It seems like all of these events have conspired against the console version of OVERKILL’s The Walking Dead as the game has been delayed again, this time indefinitely.

The official statement is that the publisher is “currently evaluating and reviewing the performance of the game” on consoles. They have promised that “further information regarding the future release will be announced at a later date”, but honestly, it doesn’t sound encouraging.

“Everyone knew it was going to tank,” said one developer (all of Eurogamer’s sources wished to remain anonymous). “No matter how much you polish a turd, it’s still a turd. It was never going to get any better than where it was. It was always hacked.”

OVERKILL’s The Walking Dead Cancelled Again, This Time By Skybound

First, the console version of OVERKILL’s The Walking Dead was delayed to February. Then it was delayed indefinitely. Last week, Sony received word that the game had been cancelled, only for publisher 505 Games to release a statement mere hours later saying it was just postponed, not cancelled. Well, now it seems like the final nail in the coffin has been dealt. Licence holder Skybound Entertainment has gotten a bit sick of this pantomime and has revoked Starbreeze’s licence, meaning all development on the title has now ceased.

Skybound’s full statement can be seen below:

As of today, we have terminated our contract with Starbreeze Studios and will discontinue all efforts on OVERKILL’S THE WALKING DEAD. Our creators and their stories are the core of Skybound, and since 2014 we have worked hard to expand the world of The Walking Dead into an exceptional Co-op Action FPS. We did our best to work with Starbreeze and resolve many issues that we saw with the game, but ultimately OVERKILL’S THE WALKING DEAD did not meet our standards nor is it the quality that we were promised. We are exceedingly sorry to our fans and share their disappointment in the game. We remain dedicated to providing our fans with the most premium quality content we can offer, and will continue to look for alternative video game options for the IP.

This means that the console version of the title will not be released, and the PC version of the title is expected to be removed from sale soon. Meanwhile, Starbreeze is trying to work out a solution with Skybound to ensure that Season 2 of the PC version of the game can still be released.

If you’ve pre-ordered the title from the Microsoft Store or retailers and are yet to seek a refund, we suggest you do so now.