PlayStation 5 Leaks, Rumours and Info

PlayStation has announced that the next PlayStation console is officially called the PlayStation 5, as everyone expected.

The company announced that the new console will be releasing in Holiday 2020 in a new blog post, alongside providing new details on some features of the console on WIRED Magazine.

The PlayStation Blog shares the big highlights on what to expect from the PlayStation 5, including two new innovation features coming to the new console’s all new controller.

The preview of the next controller includes new details on how it works, including:

• New PS5 Controller uses USB Type C
  • PS5 Controller has Haptic Feedback
  • Controller has now adaptive triggers
  • New Speaker system on the controller
  • Better Battery Life
  • Heavier than the DUALSHOCK 4, but will be lighter than a Xbox One controller

In the WIRED Magazine article, Sony also stated that with the new changes for the PS5, players will be able to choose which parts of the games they want to install. This means you can just install the campaign or just the MP mode. If you download the entire game, you will be able to remove the parts you don’t want to play anymore.

“Rather than treating games like a big block of data,” Cerny says, “we’re allowing finer-grained access to the data.” That could mean the ability to install just a game’s multiplayer, leaving the single-player campaign for another time, or just installing the whole thing and then deleting the single-player campaign once you’ve finished it.

In addition, the PS5 will support a revamped UI that will allow users to see what parts of the game has been updated versus having to constantly boot up the entire game to check what’s new.

“Even though it will be fairly fast to boot games, we don’t want the player to have to boot the game, see what’s up, boot the game, see what’s up,” Cerny says. “Multiplayer game servers will provide the console with the set of joinable activities in real time. Single-player games will provide information like what missions you could do and what rewards you might receive for completing them—and all of those choices will be visible in the UI. As a player you just jump right into whatever you like.”

Here’s the description from the PlayStation Blog:

The “more” refers to something I’m quite excited about – a preview of the new controller that will ship with PlayStation 5. One of our goals with the next generation is to deepen the feeling of immersion when you play games, and we had the opportunity with our new controller to reimagine how the sense of touch can add to that immersion.

To that end, there are two key innovations with the PlayStation 5’s new controller. First, we’re adopting haptic feedback to replace the “rumble” technology found in controllers since the 5th generation of consoles. With haptics, you truly feel a broader range of feedback, so crashing into a wall in a race car feels much different than making a tackle on the football field. You can even get a sense for a variety of textures when running through fields of grass or plodding through mud.

The second innovation is something we call adaptive triggers, which have been incorporated into the trigger buttons (L2/R2). Developers can program the resistance of the triggers so that you feel the tactile sensation of drawing a bow and arrow or accelerating an off-road vehicle through rocky terrain. In combination with the haptics, this can produce a powerful experience that better simulates various actions. Game creators have started to receive early versions of the new controller, and we can’t wait to see where their imagination goes with these new features at their disposal.

1 Like

Just dropped it in a blog article and tweeted about it.

Here is a 22-minute version of the presentation.
https://youtu.be/GIN45bC0OfY

I liked the design of the dev kits. Sure it was ugly, but it looked mean.

I like the new design, but the white shell is sort of a dealbreaker for me.
It’s just going to stick out like a sore thumb. I won’t be able to stop looking at it.
Might have to hide it behind something.

I might pick one up at launch just to have it and then try to trade it in for a limited edition that has a better color combo.

I like the newer design over the older. old desing looks more like an old Scientific Atanta Cable box from the 90s

I personally think the console looks lame, like some attempt at looking futuristic for a modem back in 2000.
I personally hate the PS controller, always have, and until they make an Xbox style one, probably always will.
The games, I will say they were the show stopper for me. The ones I liked I know are coming to Xbox at some time, but the ones that are PS5 exclusive I have no issues with not being about to play.
I will say that Xbox needs to come with some killer first party games, and not just Halo, Gears and Forza; I want games on the level in quality/features/characters/game play like an Uncharted or God of War of Horizon.

It doesn’t look completely horrible when viewed straight on, but It looks all sorts of tweaked when you look at it from a 3/4 view. Looks like it’s falling over on itself.

Sony reportedly doubles PS5 production to 10 million units by the end of 2020

According to new reports, Sony is preparing to manufacture far more PlayStation 5 consoles than it originally intended. Reports from both Bloomberg and Nikkei Asian Review suggest that Sony will be producing almost double the number of consoles than previously planned.

Both reports cite anonymous sources who are familiar with the company’s plans. Bloomberg claims that Sony is planning to produce 10 million units by the end of the year, while Nikkei Asian Review believes the number to be around 9 million. Back in April, it was believed that Sony limited its production of the console and was aiming to produce 5 to 6 million units before March 2021.

The increase in number is largely down to a change of outlook caused by the COVID-19 pandemic “boosting demand for gaming”, the report from Bloomberg reads. However, Sony is aware that shipping out the consoles on time for the Holiday launch could pose a problem. Bloomberg notes that large numbers of Sony’s consoles are made in China and are transported across the world via sea, which often takes months.

Sony began mass-producing PS5 consoles in June and is expecting to manufacture 5 million units by the end of September with another 5 million between October and December. Bloomberg believes that some of the consoles assembled towards the end of the year will end up at retailers in 2021.

In comparison, just 4.5 million PS4 units were manufactured and sent out to retailers back in 2013. By the console’s second quarter, just 7.5 million units had been shipped. Sony has also increased the number of DualSense controllers being produced.

Sony recently unveiled the PS5 console at its Future of Gaming PS5 showcase event. We got our first look at the console and some new game announcements. Unfortunately, we still don’t have a firm launch date or price for the console.

1 Like

PS5 “Activities” feature lets you instantly load into specific parts of a game

An unannounced PlayStation 5 feature may have accidentally been revealed. According to a now-removed article from Gamereactor Spain, the PS5 feature is called “Activities” and it allows players to “directly access parts of the game” from the start menu.

`

Gamereactor
preview article for WRC 9 mentioned an unannounced #PS5
feature. Article was here but was taken offline: https://t.co/BIKFZEAhnL

Archive:
https://t.co/zVtjk94ux0

Gematsu (@gematsucom) July
28, 2020

`

The article was a preview for the racing game WRC 9. Gematsu spotted the sentence before it was taken offline and even managed to grab a screenshot. The article read: “Also as a free update for those who get WRC 9 on either PS4 or Xbox One, the game will upgrade to next-gen version on PS5 or Xbox Series X, and we’re looking forward to seeing how performance, graphics, or features such as PS5’s Activities feature (an instant deeplink to specific races directly from the console’s menu) reveal the future of rally racing.”

It sounds like players will be able to instantly access specific parts of a game directly from the PS5 start menu without having to launch the game and wait for it to load. Sony architect Mark Cerny has previously touched on this feature before in an interview with Wired saying, “Single-player games will provide information like what missions you could do and what rewards you might receive for completing them—and all of those choices will be visible in the UI. As a player, you just jump right into whatever you like.”

PlayStation 5 launches Holiday 2020.

1 Like