Popular GTA V Modding Tool Shuts Down, Community Explodes

The creators of Open IV, one of the most popular modding tools for GTA V, are shutting their services down. They claim they have received a cease and desist from Take-Two Interactive after nearly 10 years of operation. The news comes as a shock to the PC Grand Theft Auto community, who use OpenIV to add thousands of mods into GTA V.

I am split on this. I love watching GTA RP on twitch. Sherrif Eli is the man. I also would like to play GTA Online on PC which I have yet to do due to modders. As silly as it make sound I don’t want to be put in the cheaters lobby, and I definitely don’t want to get banned.

This is going to hurt all those that use GTA to make content on twitch and youtube. At the same time should help Take -two fight hackers in GTA Online. At least until someone else makes something like Open IV.

Take-Two really needs to make their own modding tools. That way the good stuff can be used and the bad stuff stays out. They used to support modding but since the creation of GTAO aka CASH COW they really can’t allow this stuff because it hurts their bottom line.

1 Like

My kid plays GTA Online on the PC and got into a few of those modded lobbies. 50k per second. It’s unreal how much money he has. He has bought pretty much everything he needs. 20 car garage full of cars he likes. Now he can just play the missions or the heists for the fun of it.

Oh wow. @kelseama son plays on PC and mods all the time. That’s a shame

We are working to figure out how we can continue to support the creative community without negatively impacting our players.

Translation: We are working to figure out how we can get paid for the modding community’s work.

2 Likes

That one they can nail for making money off of Rockstar’s intellectual property along.

1 Like

I didn’t realise OpenVI was single-player mods only.
Seems sucky that they took it down when it couldn’t ever affect anybody else.

Whew reading the reviews now on Steam…angry people are angry.

1 Like

We talk about this in this week’s ReaperCast. It’s due out Wednesday.

2 Likes

Looks like Rockstar is stepping in to keep Open IV alive and only go after online mods.

2 Likes

SP mods are going to be fine.