Pressure Cooker Chicken Wings

I love to make chicken wings, and have been using the same method since I can remember: boiling in water, and then baking and broiling in the oven. However, I recently purchased an InstaPot for a friend I had couched surfed for a month in-between moves and learned that you can pressure cook chicken wings.

Curious, I decided to give the recipe a try. It’s dead simple.

1. Use the metal grill that comes with you pressure cooker (you can use it without, all it does is make it easier in the end to get the wings out).

2. Pile the wings in frozen. You can pile it all the way to the top, no worries. On each layer sprinkle some salt.

3. Add one cup of water.

4. Pressure cook for 8 mins on an electric pressure cooker, around 6 for a stove top.

5. Take the wings out, coat both sides in sauce.

6. Broil for 5-10 mins. Watch carefully so they don’t burn.

7. Coat the wings again.

Done.

The chicken will literally fall off the bone. You’ll find a giant pile of chicken fat at the bottom of the pressure cooker. Everyone who has tried these babies is impressed. Trust me, this is by far the best wings I’ve ever made and it’s dead simple.

5 Likes

Sounds good.

Nice, thanks for the write up. It’s getting time to start smoking and grilling again, so I’ll be trying this before too long

1 Like

I can’t wait to smoke and grill again. This weather is cramping my style.

I’ve tried this method as well, and it’s my new favorite way to make wings. About the only difference I’ve seen is one cup of water instead of two, because the frozen wings give off a lot of water.

1 Like

You are right, the recipe actually does call for one cup, I’ll edit the first post (good catch).

I just figured you had a bigger pressure cooker than I have. Mine is not the largest model, but a pretty good one.

http://img78.laughinggif.com/pic/HTTP2NkbjAudm94LWNkbi5jb20vdXBsb2Fkcy9jaG9ydXNfYXNzZXQvZmlsZS8yMzQ1NTIyL3JlZmZsYWlyLjAuZ2lm.gif

Grilling and smoking is a year round activity. Even the yuppie in the north knows that. Hell, I shovel a path to the grill every time it snows.

1 Like

True, you can technically grill/smoke year-round, but being able to leisurely day drink outside in warm weather is part of the total package.

2 Likes

I’ve used a very similar recipe, and they turn out great.

And only pussies shovel a path to the grill…knee deep in snow with the grill on and a beer in hand.

1 Like

Do the wings get crisp doing them like this?

Not in my experience. It’s hard to beat a nice skin on deep fried wing, It’s really the only way I want them.

2 Likes

Not crispy, but the sauce gets cooked on well, not like being baked or some shit.

That’s were the broiling comes in. True, it’s nothing like deep fried, but you can crisp them with some well timed broiling.

1 Like

It’s crispier than baked, but not as good as deep fried. On the plus side, I don’t get shit from my wife because of the smell of fryer oil in the house.

1 Like

We grill ours over the gas grill. Indirect at first then finish off on Direct. Then toss them is some Curly’s Buffalo sauce (local guy).

What I need is a solid Blue Cheese dressing.

I use the Instant Pot sometimes, but my fave way is to take them out frozen and grill them for about 15 minutes, and then in batches toss them into a bowl of seasonings. Usually make 5 or 6 different flavours.

1 Like