PS4 Getting Officially Licensed Media Remote

If you spend time streaming movies and other media on your PlayStation 4, you may have come to the conclusion that the console’s Dualshock 4 isn’t the optimal way to navigate menus. With that in mind, peripheral maker PDP is stepping up with an officially licensed media remote.

The remote is priced at $30, and is pegged for an October release. In addition to controlling the PS4’s media functionality, the device will also control supported televisions, receivers, and cable boxes. The device boasts a 6-month battery life, which certainly beats the alternative.

It may not be a game-changing piece of technology, but it’s bound to be a welcome addition in homes where the PS4 is the central entertainment hub. There’s something to be said for the simplicity of a standard remote, particularly in how it doesn’t have trigger buttons or analog sticks that are easily jostled by less-aware family members.

FINALLY!!!

although 30 seems kinda steep… maybe $30 is msrp and actual price will be $20., and if i can control my cable box thats just icing on the cake.

Now if they could get some of their apps fixed to stream well. WWE network is a laggy mess on PS4 compared to the XB1.

Wow. Can’t believe they did not have this yet.

There was a small one, from Nyko or something, was supposed to come out last year but i dont know if it ever did. Now that i think of it, i recall is having some really bad reviews so maybe it did come out and just suck.

The fact that sony… SONY… who make TVs, and Stereos, and all kinds of shit that uses a remote… like… other blu ray players… didn’t include or at least sell one at launch is a mind blower.

IIRC, didn’t they have the PS3 media remote available at launch or shortly after? We’re a year and a half into this gen, and they still didn’t have one out. Like Audible said, this one’s a mind blower.