ReaperCast 89 - News and the Debut of SoInZane

Grim Reaper Gamers hosts a Bi-Weekly Podcast where we talk about Community News, Video Games, Beer and whatever else we feel like discussing. This episode we talk about the latest gaming news. We also feature a GRG Member spotlight with one of our newer Staff members, SoInZane!

Subscribe to the podcast:
iTunes | Spotify | Android | Google Play | RSS | TuneIn | More

Subscribe on Android Subscribe on iTunes

Member Spotlight

• SoInZane

Lala Rant

• Colony Canceled. Networks killing shows at the most critical spot of their story. Leaving shows stuck forever on a cliff hanger.
  •  

Gaming and Geek News 

• Nerd buys Magic the Gathering card for 87K
    • Still never met a woman
  • Battlefield 1
    • 4k support for BF1 released on Xbox X
    • Apocalypse DLC free
  • Realm Royale PS4 and XBox One Beta sign ups. Beta starts soon.
  • Xbox Scarlett
    • Rumors are a version for enthusiasts like the One X, and a lower powered console that will mostly stream games from the cloud.
  • EA considering a Free to Play Battle Royale Game
  • Star Trek MMO Discovery Expansion
  • No Man’s Sky review
  • Bethesda News:
    • Fallout 76 B.E.T.A slated for October. Xbox to start a week before PS4 and PC.
    • Bethesda announced it is unlikely to allow another studio access to their Fallout franchise again. Fallout: New Vegas 2, if it happens likely won’t be made by Obsidian.

Community Info

Originally published at: https://grimreapergamers.com/2018/08/reapercast-89-news-and-the-debut-of-soinzane/
1 Like

I’d like to give a special shout out to @anon42851937 for resurrecting this episode from death. We experienced a major disaster in last night’s recording. While Johnny was saving, Audacity crashed and basically wiped out the whole recording. Even worse, the backup copy I record was garbled. We basically recorded an episode and lost it all. Johnny stuck with it and managed to piece it back together. Thanks @anon42851937 for putting in all that work. The thought of losing that episode really crushed me and I’m glad we could salvage it.

Moral of the story:

TEST YOUR BACKUPS!!

The app I used worked great for the past year up until 3 episodes ago. I never checked them as they always worked fine. Now I’ll need to verify what I record as well. We are also working on better recording options as well.

5 Likes

:bell:

1 Like

nice @anon42851937 coming through in the clutch

1 Like

I can’t take full credit. Thanks to @Lala_Calamari and @SoInZane for finding resources that guided me to what I needed to resurrect that recording after Audacity tried to kill off the show. Once I finally figured out all that those sites were saying (a couple of things were confusing to those who hadn’t experienced that issue before), it was really not a lot of labor, just time consuming for conversion.

I’m just happy that the conversion to a lossy format that was required and back didn’t make the sound too grainy.

1 Like

Weirdest thing with Lala’s audio: you’ll notice on the audio for the show that we resurrected his mic is clear as a bell. On his recording that’s the backup, he was the only one who sounded like they had static interference. I’ve never heard of a recording software that recorded the online audio better than local. Never.

1 Like

2 Likes

Thanks for having me on. I had a lot of fun and look forward to another at some point.

Good stuff as well @anon42851937 for salvaging this. I couldn’t tell a difference if there was even any.

I’m not sure what’s going on. I think it’s a HZ issue with my mic in that application, or at least that’s my theory. It’s really just a basic barebones app and it worked fine for 20 episodes. It just started crapping out the last 3.

That day I tested my setup in Audacity and my USB interface and Mic sounded clear. No issues.

That limits it to the software for sure. Fact is, unless you have a really screwed up setting in your OS local source quality should always be greater than an online source.

Speaking of screwed up settings, when I recorded the intro/disclaimer for the show, my mic was coming in soft. Looked in Windows, and for some reason it had turned my mic volume down to 10 from the 80 I normally keep it at.

In terms of the Star Trek Online news, the Discovery expansion hits PC in the Fall and they have the weird ass looking Klingons