Sea of Thieves’ Kraken Design is Disappointing

is this for real?

The lack of a body makes the entire encounter much less intimidating than before. The sea turns black, the ship cannot move, and the tentacles arise, but that’s it. While the replayability factor of this encounter is supposed to be high due to the tactics of the tentacles, it looks like the tentacles can also just rise up and attack slowly.

We don’t need no Kraken…right?

1 Like

LOL I was just talking about this in Discord.

1 Like

Honestly, I couldnt care less for the body since I cant actually attack it or do anything. The tentacles is what gets your ship. Usually in the worst moments… got attacked by it with a captains chest on board. Survived it. No need to jump in the water for it. Just survive and move along with the booty.

All it is, is just a little bit of fear factor into the equation. Again, this isnt a hardcore game. Just something to spend some time on.

That doesn’t excuse lazy development and design. They want to charge $60 for it then it should be fleshed out.

If you get grabbed and end up in the water and see this it ruins immersion.

Edited to add: They should have made it so we don’t see this. If you have to remove the ability for the tentacles to grab you then so be it.

1 Like

You have a point there. No doubt.

Edit: Not judging the game because im just using the game pass free trial and am hoping that at some point in these 2 weeks we can get some sort of patch fixing or altering these issues. We’ll see.

2 Likes

Not bitching just another observation…

The tentacles don’t even grab you. They are like super sucker vacuums. I am no Kraken expert. Is this a feature of the Kraken? Just seems weird to all of a sudden see your toon in the air and then a few seconds later you end up in the mouth of the tentacle.

i am guessing they are going to chalk this up to a performance reason. if it does not provide a function and is mostly hidden why render it.

3 Likes

grex never has performance issues

It probably is but still should be hidden. Plenty of ways to do that. They tried with ink black water but didn’t make it deep enough. They could have made the tentacles longer and it would have at least helped not look so unfinished or like I said earlier they could have made it so you don’t get picked up and thrown in the water.

I kinda feel like this was tacked on late in development when people started talking about wanting a Kraken. Then they hyped the shit out of it only for it to be just some tentacles. Hyping something up is not always a good thing.

2 Likes