Sony aquires Robotech Screen Rights, plans movie franchise

I am both Excited and scared. Robotech is Garbage, Macross is amazing… the difference??? Macross was the original series, Robotech took Macross, then instead of ending it, added two other entirely different shows to lengthen the series for american television.

Also not sure how a Veritech Fighter translates to the big screen, but look at the awesome that is Pacific Rim, that turned out great, so it is possible.

Story from IGN:
Sony Pictures announced today that they have secured the rights to the science-fiction anime Robotech, “with the intention of moving quickly toward production of a future global franchise.”

The project had previously been set up at Warner Bros. where star-producer Tobey Maguire had tried to get a film version off the ground.

As we reported last month, the film will be produced and written by a trio behind 300, producers Gianni Nunnari and Mark Canton and screenwriter Michael Gordon.

The project will be overseen at Sony Pictures by Doug Belgrad, Michael De Luca, and Matthew Milam. De Luca said in a statement, “Robotech is unique in that it has always been a marriage of spectacle with human characters that seem drawn from life. That’s why we are so excited to be working with Mark and Gianni as we move forward on this project. With a history that offers an epic love triangle, a renegade hero, and a world on the brink of extinction, Robotech offers a wide scope and a rich and impressive universe where the story possibilities are endless.”

“When the rights to Robotech became available we jumped; Mark and I knew it had what big movies in today’s world must have if they want to grab everyone: insane visuals AND powerful themes," said Nunnari. “The characters in Robotech wrestle with both the destructive and redemptive powers of technology; nothing is more relevant today than that.”

Executive producer Frank Agrama of Harmony Gold, the original intellectual property rights holder, said: “Patience is a virtue. We at Harmony Gold have waited 30 years for the chips to fall in place. Finally they have, and finally our dreams have come true. I am sure that our fans and the public at large will be flabbergasted with what they will hear and see on the screen. Thank you Gianni, Mark, Ralph and above all, all of the Columbia Pictures people involved.”

While Robotech may be best known for the hugely popular '80s TV series, it’s also a franchise comprised of books, role playing games, video games, toys and collectibles.

1 Like

I approve! I liked the robotech stuff. And there are haters here but Pacific rim was great!

I liked pacific rim. It could be good. Could be crap.

Neither have anything on Robot Jox. :yum:

oh man Robot Jox. I used to watch the shit out of that when i was a kid. Pure gold.

Robot jox was awesome back in the day!

I’m really excited about this! I loved both robotech and macross as a kid. I agree that the Americanized versions of the series wasn’t good. Well, the 2nd saga wasn’t good but the first and 3rd were pretty fun. I just hope they don’t do like the transformers franchise and have too many moving parts in the vehicles.

Nice, I’ll be looking forward to this.