Sunday Driving - Forza Horizons 3 1/29

Looking for some GRG to run some Forza Horizons 3 races. We’ll go online and terrorize them with Beer’s shitty truck builds. It’ll be fun, I promise.

We’re looking to set up some classes / style races. Pick a few style of races and car types ahead of time so people can bring their rides.

Originally published at: https://grimreapergamers.com/pec-events/sunday-driving-forza-horizons-3-129/

What’s the expected shelf life of this game?
How long until they put out a new one. It looks fantastic, but I have never done any of the driving games.

The game just came out in the fall so it’s pretty new. Might be able to pick it up on sale.

I really like the game. It’s absolutely gorgeous and a ton of fun to play. It’s not as sim crazy as Forza 6, the game tones that down but it’s not arcadey either. Just fun to race. Plus you have so many different cars to get.

I’ll probably break down and buy the season pass soon. Right now I’m just progressing through the standard content.

1 Like

Forgot to tag @ForzaPlayers

i have 3 races lined up so far…will post the details later tonight.

I have 1 or 2 ideas. I need to see if a car is purchasable or not for the one race.

I am going to try and be at this one.

I don’t have a say in what we race. It all works for me.

Right now i am thinking 4 or 5 organized races…then whoever is still around, GRG can go into adventure mode and represent against the FH3 community.

I have 2 ideas.

First is a Mini Cooper race. I have this upgraded to B and it seems to race nicely. We could go Class A to make it really squirrely.

2012 MINI John Cooper Works GP

The MINI John Cooper Works GP completed a lap at the Nordschleife in just eight minutes, twenty-three seconds. That’s equivalent to an E46 M3 or R-32 Skyline, so this little guy is no slouch. There are 218 ponies under the hood, driven by a twin-scroll turbocharger, variable valve timing, and direct injection to get things going. Keeping the contact patch optimal is a coil-over suspension system that inverts the front shocks to increase longitudinal and lateral stiffness. There were only 2,000 of these models built and they were all sold in Europe so, for many, Forza games are the only shot they’ll have to experience this one-of-a-kind ride.

The other race I’d like to get some 60s and below sports / race cars. I’m not sure of what style they are listed as or what class we should run them as. I just really like the looks of the cars.

Cars like:

1956 Jaguar D-Type

Even though the D-Type competed in an era where many competition cars were stunning, the all-conquering Jaguar managed to both be achingly beautiful as well as nearly unbeatable around the Le Mans Circuit de la Sarthe course (taking the overall win a total of three times, including an amazing five out of the top six spots in the 1957 race). Malcolm Sawyer, the famed aerodynamicist, created the shape primarily to be slipperier than the old C-Type, but as a happy coincidence the bodywork is remarkably pretty, managing to pack brutish racing aggression (such as the no-nonsense side-exit pipes) with a shape so flowing it recalls a natural form, like a raindrop. It’s doubtful that competing drivers in contemporary Porsches, Ferraris, and Aston Martins had much time to appreciate the shape, as the powerful 3.4-liter XK engine provides 245 horsepower and has less than a ton to propel. Depending on gearing, the D-Type can achieve more than 170 mph, an impressive figure today but hair-raising in the mid-1950s—particularly considering that a brave driver could in fact take a D-Type out on the street, one of the last Le Mans-winning cars capable of this trick. In fact, the D-Type represents the height of 1950s technology, including an aerospace-inspired aluminum monocoque chassis. If you can bear to stop staring at the seductive curves, pull on some string-back gloves and recreate history.

1961 Jaguar E-type S1

When you have a good thing going, it’s best not to mess with it. Jaguar took an extremely successful formula from their D-Type racers—a big inline six cylinder stuffed will advanced engineering—and slipped inside a lithe form styled by aerodynamicist Malcom Sawyer. But while the D-Type was designed to race, the E-type was intended to wow, and when Jaguar pulled the wraps off the car in 1961, Geneva show-goers on hand rushed to order the car. The result was that Jaguar was swamped with more orders than they could fill. In retrospect, that’s not surprising, because for the equivalent of the price of a mid-level executive sedan, buyers of the E-type were treated to what was essentially a supercar by the standards of the time. A complicated new fully independent rear suspension makes the E-type quite nimble (it was so successful that Jaguar used the design for decades), and the powerful 3.8-liter inline six makes the coupe considerably faster than contemporary car in its price range. The original E-type, the S1, became an enduring symbol of the zenith of the British auto industry, and one of the most iconic Jaguars ever. All of the history and accolades shouldn’t obscure the fact that the E-type is also quite enjoyable to drive—in particular, nothing else on the road sounds quite as sweet as the burble of a DOHC Jaguar six.

1957 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa

In May of 2009, the hammer fell at RM Auctions and history was made. A 1957 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa had just been purchased for $12,169,784, making it the single most expensive vehicle ever sold at auction up to that time. What could have possibly made a single Ferrari worth approximately twelve Bugatti Veyrons, or about 225 Chevrolet Corvettes? Let’s start with the iconic pontoon-fendered body, inspired by Formula 1 cars of the era and created by coachbuilder Scaglietti. Then there was the new 3-liter V12 with the famous red-painted valve covers, designed to meet new racing rules, that would go on to dominate World Sportscar racing for years. The Testa Rossa racked up ten victories in 19 races against some of the best cars to ever turn a wheel in anger, such as the Aston Martin DBR1 and the mighty Maserati 300S; impressive by any measure. Truly one of the greatest Ferraris ever built, this 250 TR can understandably command such a lofty price.

1957 Ferrari 250 California

It’s easy to see why the 250 California is a favorite among Ferrari aficionados, as well as being one of the most valuable of the classic Ferraris. It’s the perfect blend of Ferrari’s 250-series racing technology in a package that not only is suitable for touring and cruising, it also lets you take in the raucous sounds of the wonderful Tipo 128F Colombo V12 through the open top. The “California” moniker is quite intentional — this Ferrari was specifically aimed at that growing US market, and was the brainstorm of two of Ferrari’s influential American distributors (Luigi Chinetti and John von Neumann), who wanted a car that translated the raw power of the “Tour de France” (TdF) racers into a stunning road car. To accomplish this, Ferrari turned to Scaglietti, the famed coachworks that primarily crafted bodies for Ferrari’s racers. The steel body was fitted on top of a chassis remarkably similar to the TdF, and buyers could option either a road-spec’d engine or special, competition-prepared V12s. All of this meant that the California, despite being a comfortable and relatively luxurious car, didn’t require a lot to be a very competitive racer — Ferrari even created some competizione racers with special aluminium bodies. Nonetheless, even the steel California is very lightweight, at under 2,400 lbs., so the 250 horsepower engine under the hood scoop makes this Ferrari a sprightly performer even by modern standards.

1962 Ferrari 250 GTO

Every Ferrari is special, but the Ferrari 250 GTO is perhaps the most special of them all. Built in limited numbers as a road car to homologate (“omologato”) its racing variant, the “Series II” GTO is a slight revision to the first GTOs. The biggest change is the addition of the sensual body, designed by the famed Pininfarina styling house, with dramatic buttresses aft of the rear window and a sextet of side vents piercing the curved flanks. Under the pointed hood blister is the famous Giacchino Colombo-designed 3-liter V12, derived from the racing 250 Testa Rossa. It was also the last and most highly-developed of a long line of Ferrari 250 racers, and one of the rarest. Only three were built, so only the lucky few have seen a Series II 250 GTO, and fewer still have driven it. Consider that as you admire the gleaming GTO in your garage or out on the track.

1953 Maserati A6GCS/53 Pininfarina Berlinetta

The Berlinetta’s gorgeous form, courtesy of famed body maker Pininfarina, is only outdone by its racing pedigree. It was built for competition in road racing events like the Mille Miglia. Under its beautiful surface is a race-bred chassis built by Gilco, powered by a free-revving short-stroke inline six-cylinder that delivers around 170 hp. Definitively Italian, the A6GCS is alluring to view and astounding to hear. Get your own eyeful or earful to fully comprehend this amazing vehicle.

1965 Shelby Cobra 427 S/C

Marketed as “the fastest streetcar in the world,” the 427 S/C—Semi-Competition – is the most desirable of all the Shelby Cobra variants. Out of the 100 that were planned only 53 were built. They are nothing less than a purpose-built race car converted at the last minute for street use.

1965 Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe

Nothing has ever even tried to match the form or raw power of the Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe. It is something that was done once and done right. It is forever ensconced in our memory as a rare beauty and a road weapon of legendary potential. Once the fire is lit, the rumble of the short piped V8 will set your hairs on end before drenching them is sweat.

Once again, I’m not sure what the last set of cars would be listed as. Or even if they are in the same style.

Maybe do a 60s and older sports car series. I’ll have to look to see what they are listed as tonight.

I’m in for this, picked up the game last night. Will probably spend my extra time this week trying to unlock and upgrade cars.

@Lala_Calamari - I went with the basic game as well, I couldn’t tell if I would benefit from the Deluxe or Gold editions.

Money and cars come quickly.

Also, if you do not have a car or class for a race we set up it will allow you to "rent’ one. This way you can still race. I don’t think the renting costs anything.

2 Likes

I broke down and bought the Car Packs. I had to have the BMW M4 GTS. 1 car is like 3 bucks, the pack is 6 then all packs for 6 months come out to 30 bucks. Somehow 1 car purchase justified the 6 month pack. I’m not sure how I came to that decision and I think I was sober when I made it.

I really wanted that M4 GTS.

worse case scenario…you use the ‘host’ car

@shortbus sign up for Forza hub rewards. I get 200k a month for all Forza games and free cars on occasion.

@D1G1TALC1PHERS - I signed up for the Hub rewards
@Lala_Calamari - I bought the Car Pass too

Having a blast playing this game so far. I am not very good at the street races, but the off-road stuff is way more fun.

SUNDAY RACING

1) Mini Mania
- Bring your Hot Hatch, superman pajamas, and mimosa to Byron Bay races. 1 Circuit and 1 Sprint.

2) 60’s and older

• Come to the race and pick something old and something sexy. With smooth curves and power to push, this could be a @Grex @Gunny special. Be ready for Yarra Valley again with 1 circuit and 1 sprint.

3) HALO Special

• Random Game or Race offroad. Based if members have or are able to select the WARTHOG.

4) GRG Adventures

• GRG or those still hanging around, we take it online to the FH3 Community and represent the Reaper.

@ForzaPlayers Caution: Wrecks made possible by @Lala_Calamari

All races will be Class ‘A’

Sounds good. Just a reminder to all @ForzaPlayers, the cars have to be A class. Don’t worry if you don’t have the car. It’ll let you “rent” one. I don’t think a cost is associated with the rent.

Question, can you have 2 class per car? I have the Mini at a B class. Can I create and save an A class tune for it?

Yes you can

I’ll probably be a bit late. Youngest has a basketball game. I’ll be on
but may miss the first couple of races.