Testing a new Chat Service

In the efforts to improve GRG, we are currently testing a different Chat service called Discord. This is the voice chat application I suggest to all of our PC gamers. It also handles Chat very well and it’s similar to Slack (what we currently use). They offer a web client, Desktop client and even mobile Phone clients (iOS and Android).

The application comes packed with a ton of features.

• 100% Free Communication
  • IP & DDoS Protection
  • Browser Support
  • Mobile App
  • Friends List
  • In-game Overlay
  • Codec
  • Low Latency
  • Minimal CPU Usage
  • Custom Hot Keys
  • Smart Push Notifications
  • Permissions
  • Multiple Channels
  • Modern Text Chat
  • Individual Volume Control
  • Direct Messaging
  • Automatic Failover

We are still testing it out and haven’t committed to it just yet. The main reason we’re looking to migrate is to unify text and voice based chat. Have Discord be a one stop shop. You guys are simple and need things done simply. :wink:

Click here to try out the new chat. @anon42851937 is waiting to tell you incredible dad jokes and every corn related story he knows.

3 Likes

He left out the best part. The dark theme is so much better than Slack’s white BG.

1 Like

It’s mysterious.

Link to our server was expired for some reason. I generated a new one and updated OG post.

Use this link. <-- could be Lemon Party!

Just make it official and move to Discord because, well, it’s fracking awesome.

1 Like

I’d like to hear everyone’s thoughts on Discord. Post here or PM me. Pros and Cons. I already have a few responses but would like to hear more.

more

i hope it fails miserably and you all crawl back to me on slack chat.

stop changing things

change is bad

1 Like

I like it for 2 reasons…

1. It adds the voice option to the mix

2. It integrates more of the PC side of GRG into things, making what i think is a more rounded cross play among GRG members.

1 Like

I like it for 2 reasons…

1. It adds the voice option to the mix

2. It integrates more of the PC side of GRG into things, making what i think is a more rounded cross dressers among GRG members.

fixt it for you…

1 Like

Anyone have any issues so far? Any major issues that would prevent us from fully moving from Slack to Discord?

None here. Everything I’ve been hearing is positive.

BTW, the new chat is accessible via web browser or downloadable app (desktop and mobile).

Voice chat works amazingly well.

I am using the web browser at work and have had no issues. Runs no different than the downloadable product.

Just checked out the web and Android versions. It all looks good atm.

I’m using the web version at work as well. Seems to run just as good as the desktop app with text and voice, which I run at home.

1 Like

The main difference between the Desktop app and the Web app is the way it handles Push to Talk. Push to Talk works (now) on the web version but the Tab must be active.

I made the decision to lock down Slack since Discord chat has been very well received by everyone that’s used it. Discord handles chat just as well and had many additional features that will benefit GRG as we grow our PC gaming group.

I highly suggest trying out Discord, it’s a great way to get to know your fellow GRG member. There is usually a few people BSing all day long. You can access Discord via a Web browser or application (desktop or mobile).

1 Like