Why is the SOT update so big?

In a developer update posted today, Rare discussed Sea of Thieves’ launch troubles—difficulty connecting and delays receiving in-game rewards top among them—and what they’ve done so far on the server-side to correct them. The latest set of fixes, however, come by way of a massive client update which constitutes a full redownload of the game: 19.53GB on PC.

The size of the update is a trade-off, says executive producer Joe Neate—it was get these fixes out now, or wait until the patch could be made smaller. “Our ideal scenario was that we got that patchwork done and we released a smaller patch, but we’ve made the decision to get that full game update [out there] because of all the fixes it’s got which is going to improve the experience for everyone,” he said, “but it is a full game size update … you’re going to be downloading the client again.”

Note that just because it’s a big download doesn’t mean this is a content update. The new client includes bug and performance fixes—you can read the patch notes here—while updates which add to Sea of Thieves’ pirating framework are coming down the line.

2 Likes

I wonder if that may not backfire. If people are downloading the full size of the game again, they’re going to expect more than just fixes. They’re going to expect some extra content.

They messed up slightly though. Everyone with a game pass is getting a message as if we do not have it. Soooooo still waiting on that.

can I delete the game then reinstall the new one to save on storage space?

It’s not doubling in size. It will replace the old.

thank you

one of the few friendly and helpful admins in GRG

1 Like

I’ll have HR talk to digital and get that fixed.

4 Likes

Noted in his filing cabinet.