Xbox One X Mega Thread

I get his point for the most part, but he’s completely full of shit when he says it’s hard to find a Switch because of Zelda. It’s hard to find a switch for the same reason you still can’t find an NES classic - they don’t produce enough units to force scarcity and make everyone think the switch is selling out when it’s really just not being produced in great numbers. It’s Nintendo’s tactic since the Wii did so well due to true scarcity.

There were two switch units at our local target the other night when I was there. It’s not that difficult to get

It is around here. As soon as a store gets them they are gone with in the hour.

1 Like

Same up here. And stores are getting maybe 2 at a time.

I’ll get one for you. $500 plus shipping…

I do agree doesn’t matter without games that play well on the console

The final design of Xbox One Scorpio has yet to be unveiled, but we’ve now got our first look at the console’s dev kit.

Dev kits - specially-optimised versions of a console made available to studios for game development purposes - sometimes resemble the final console design. Sometimes, however, they do not.

For Xbox One and Xbox One S, each console’s dev kit was near-identical to the retail edition. Xbox 360 dev kits had a bulky additional section mounted on top. The Original Xbox had a translucent plastic casing.

Unusually, the Xbox One Scorpio dev kit is significantly more powerful than Scorpio’s already beefy technical specs.

Gamasutra was passed images and technical specs of the dev kit by Microsoft itself, and also spoke with Xbox platform manager Kevin Gammill about why the machine had been made even more powerful than the version of Scorpio most will get to play.

The Xbox One Scorpio dev kit, front, with older Xbox console dev kits behind. Image credit: Gamasutra.

“It’s much easier for a game developer to come in higher and tune down, than come in lower and tune up,” Gammill explained. "Or nail it. That just rarely happens.

“Our overarching design principle was to make it easy for devs to hit our goals: 4K, 4K textures, rocksteady framerates, HDR, wide color gamut, and spatial audio.”

Inside the box there’s a whopping 24GB of DDR5 RAM, double that of the retail Scorpio’s 12GB, an additional 1TB SSD drive, and 44 CUs (compute units) instead of 40 on the GPU.

The box itself looks like a larger Xbox One S, with an OLED screen on front to constantly show performance data like an FPS count.

It’s difficult to draw many conclusions just from this on Scorpio’s eventual design factor, although it’s worth bearing in mind the Scorpio dev kit’s expanded specs. Perhaps, without them, the retail Scorpio unit could be smaller.

And while the official Xbox One Scorpio dev kit is a separate machine, retail Scorpio consoles are still convertible into dev kits - just as with the standard Xbox One. The only difference will be the lower specs than the official dev kit hardware.

Possible price leak. $430 US

2 Likes

That would be a pleasant surprise but Im feeling skeptical

that would be Nerdtastic!

3 Likes

Nerdtastic LOL good word. They would have to be very confident in maintaining frame rates No?

Nah. They will just blame the game developer as it will ultimately come down to them, on how well they code the game to the hardware vs what is advertised.

1 Like
1 Like

never heard of this company Looks nice

Xbox vice pres Mike Ybarra has reiterated that developers don’t need to worry about parity between Xbox One and Scorpio.

In less technical talk that means you don’t have to worry about super-future Scorpio games being held back by Xbox One development. The confirmation came after this tweet from Ybarra was contested:

19 May
Mike Ybarra :heavy_check_mark: @XboxQwik
Developers are free to choose how they use the power of Project Scorpio for games. We have no requirements limiting framerate or fidelity.
Follow
Chris the 1 Gamer @ChrisThe1Gamer
@XboxQwik But there is a fps parity betwen Xbox One and Scorpio in multiplayer. Which means a 2013 console is holding a 2017 console back.
7:27 PM - 19 May 2017
3 3 Retweets 12 12 likes
Twitter Ads info & Privacy
The messaging from Xbox that you’ll be able to play the same game on Xbox One, One S, PC and Scorpio seems to have confused some that it would be ‘the same game.’ Hence the idea in that tweet that Scorpio would somehow be constrained by running Xbox One games (although I’m not sure where the idea of a frame rate parity came from). Here’s Ybarra’s response:

Follow
Mike Ybarra :heavy_check_mark: @XboxQwik
No, there isn’t. This is up to the developer to choose, for their games, what they want to do. https://twitter.com/ChrisThe1Gamer/status/865710578903519232
7:41 PM - 19 May 2017 · Woodinville, WA
293 293 Retweets 796 796 likes
Twitter Ads info & Privacy
How that pans out remains to be seen. If a game is developed specifically to max out the Scorpio, how will that translate to Xbox One? The theory from way back when Microsoft first announced the console is that it would be a lot like PC settings - sliders moving about depending on the hardware. But with different chips and tech it might not be quite as easy as that. If a studio does decide to go in hard on Scorpio might we see other teams coming in for porting duties?

We’ll likely find out loads more at E3 in June, and if not I’ll ask. In the meantime here’s everything we know about Xbox Scorpio, and if you want to start a good argument here’s a comparison of the Xbox Scorpion and PS4 Pro.

I sorta agree with Ybarra. Xbox One and the new Scorpio are basically PCs. Why cant the game have different res settings based on the console(hardware) its playing on. Just like what PC does today.

Edited to add: it really does come down to the developers if they want to support it and lock the resolution on the game, which would mean they would have to tone it down for Scorpio.

1 Like

It’s exactly like PC. Anyone saying “What about the differences in chips and tech” have no clue what they’re talking about. Not everyone owns the exact same PC - there’s a mix of chips and techs out there that would make these so called console experts’ heads spin. There are thousands of different combinations, with more coming out weekly. Xbox devs only have to worry about 2.

Also i do see there will be no need for this. Both boxes will be running the same OS. No need to port.