Fallout 76 Megathread

Console.

1 Like

Seems like a slightly strange approach.
I wonder if the BETA is more like Early Access, or whether it will end after a period of time?

Yeah that sounds more like early access to me.

New information out of Quake Con 2018.

2 Likes

The game’s inclusion of nuclear weapons prompted a flurry of questions after the initial announcement, with some players concerned they could be used by trolls; Bethesda later clarified that nukes could only be used on certain areas and that players would be warned in advance, as well as revealing that nuked areas would receive more valuable loot (as well as more dangerous enemies). Now it seems that players will need to earn the right to use these weapons by playing through the game’s main quest, which is described as “a lengthy, multi-part story that takes players across West Virginia” and will require a high level to complete.

2 Likes

Well that actually sounds like a good idea. I’m guessing the quests will be similar to wow.

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

How did they not have the game systems blueprinted out a long time ago? I mean c’mon, give an experienced guy this task and make it his job to keep up with the rest of the development to make sure it fits correctly.

It makes me wonder if they’ve even had alpha testers playing.

Just don’t think that’s something you want to sort out one month before you turn people loose, It actually sounds like the exact wrong way to do it.

They run the risk of alienating the fallout sp fans and the survival fans at the same time, lol. I have a feeling this game will have very mixed reviews from players like all the other survival games.

All that being said, I am Jack’s sniveling interest.

edit: i just watched it again and that quote that guy pulls up and says is an “official response” has no source. Couldn’t google it either.

1 Like

It comes from this article from Game Informer at the beginning of September.

I’m not sure what the big deal is. You can’t loot from their stashes according to this, and if you take fruits and veggies from plants at their base, it’s a crime. That’s a lot like the karma system in current Fallout games.

1 Like

I for one am liking what I am seeing. Their look on PVP in a survival game is fresh and something I think will please the masses. Not sure if you watched the video I posted on PVP @fawkernot but it lays out how PVP probably works and that you can’t steal weapons,armor, etc. The only thing you can steal is junk. Junk is an item you get over time while adventuring to build things. If you get killed you drop your junk. If your base gets raided all they can take is stuff you are growing and probably junk. If you kill or steal you are marked a criminal on the map and a bounty is put on your head. They turned antitrolling into a game mechanic and I think it’s great.

3 Likes

It’s the whole “still figuring it out” that kinda baffles me.

At this point, that just seems to come with the survival game genre. Until you get lots of players on it, you can’t anticipate what can happen with game mechanics. All the testing in the world never seems to uncover what one user out in the field will discover to mess up the whole works.

2 Likes

Yeah, I keep thinking it to be the first AAA dev (AFAIK) taking a crack at survival, but I guess it is still survival with all it’s unknowns where the rubber meets the road.

Just for the sake of argument I don’t see that quote from the video in the article you linked.

But I get what you guys are saying, and I agree it looks like it’s going to be a good game. As I said in discord I thought it might have been all ironed out as they are a AAA dev (the first I believe to do this genre), but I see your point on how this is how survival games go.

It’s the 8th paragraph under “Rebuilding America”. It’s near the end of the write up.

Bad keyword search on my part. I stand corrected.

I had to do a couple of searches, then saw he had sourced it in the info of the video, you have to hit show more to see it.

Yup, right there. I actually did hit that but guess I glossed right over it.

The other thing that he mentioned was being able to pop your powersuit into your backpack, like if it runs out of gas. I brought it up in discord and @D1G1TALC1PHERS had mentioned he thought they might some kind of encumbrance
to carry it.

I get the “it’s just a game,” thing but I was a little suprised they went that route with it.