Recommend a Phone

I’m now eligible for a new cell phone. I currently have a Samsung S3. It’s a decent phone. My only issues with it are the battery can’t make it a full day and Samsung stopped updating the OS a long time ago.

So now I’m looking at phones. Two phones that have my eye are the HTC Turbo and the LG G3. Possibly the Samsung Note 4 but I’m afraid it’s a bit too large.

Things I really want.

• Battery life. This is key. I want to have my phone last all day on one charge. I also want to use the fuck out of the phone.
  • Quality Camera. I use the phone’s camera all the time. I think most phones have solid cameras so I’m not too worried about this.
  • Micro SD card. I hate being limited. I want to know that I can add in a card for more memory.
  • Replaceable Battery. I’ll never understand why phones have built in batteries. Batteries go bad.
  • Constant updates. Or the ability to root and update the phone myself. It’s been a long time since there was an update for my current phone. I’ve had to deal with shitty OS and battery draining apps.

Originally I wanted a Nexus 6 just so I could get the True android experience. Anytime there’s an update, I’ll get it. Verizon is due to get it soon. The sheer size of this phone is silly. It’s the largest phone on the market (or one of them). That’s one reason I’ll probably skip it. The other reasons are the lack of a memory expansion port and built in battery.

Samsung Galaxy S6 is due out in March ( I think). Even though I didn’t want to get another Samsung I think I want to see it’s specs.

LG G4 is coming as well but I have no real ETA. The LG G3 is supposed to be one of the best phones on the market. Even still, I’d hate to get that and have the G4 come out in a few months.

BTW, I’m not an Apple fan. I’m not getting an iPhone.

Anything else I should look at? It has to be a Verizon compatible phone. Verizon is king where I live.

This is more my speed.

1 Like

I was thinking more like this for you:

1 Like

We recently got the note 3’s at work(4’s weren’t out yet) and I was afraid of the same thing, but now I Love this phone. Especially if you plan on using it for more then just talking, it’s great.

1 Like

I have an iPhone 5 right now and like you am concerned with the size of the newer phones but every person tells me that you get used to it quickly.

the Mobile Media Summit is the first week of march. HTC will be revieling their new verson of the M8, and thats the phone i plan on getting, (currently have a S3). This is kinda like the e3 of cell phones… so you might see or hear of something you like.

I don’t think there’s a phone that will meet your needs. Just give up

I have the LG G3-

One of the best phones I have had, the battery is solid, and its quick. (Once you take bloatware off).
I also have the Iphone 6,( Which I like) but the LG is still better. The only negative is the size. If that doesn’t concern you, its a great phone.

Broke down and am getting the Note 4. (They’ll arrive tomorrow). I could get the Note 4 Edge but that edge looks annoying and very gimmicky. It’ll be months by the time Verizon gets the phones I want. My son is all gung ho on the Note. And it’s nice to have something in common with him. Nerd bonding.

Also got the youngest the Bose Soundlink Color. It was on sale for $100 and he still had Christmas money left over. I know, No Highs No Lows, must be Bose. But it sounds really good, very good. I have the Soundlink Mini. Both offer plenty of bass and they’re just portable speakers. I really like them. Then again I’m old and can’t hear, so fuck off.

1 Like

My wife has the Note 4 she loves it. The camera on it is awesome!

I just installed 5.0 lollipop on my s5. Meh

Good choice. You won’t regret it bro. I’m still loving my note 2. First time in ages I Havn’t wanted something new or the next greatest thing.

I will never get a new phone again. Verizon has a deal now if your phone is out of contract, it is only $15 a month instead of $40 a month. I just bought my 13 year old an S3 off of Amazon. My S3 is out of contract also. As long as I don’t take their free phone deal, my bill is only $15 per phone plus data.

So basically that means I will get a Note in about five years.

I did not know of that plan.

Since I am due in July for a new one I will likely look at a Galaxy, Note, and to all your haters a 6.

Neither did I. It also makes it cheaper to get my kids phones using Verizon Edge, because I’m never getting them the newest/latest/greatest phones. If I drop to 15/month on their lines, then get an iPhone 5c or 5s on edge, it’s cheaper than getting a phone at a discount on a 2 year contract and adding the 25 per month for them to absorb the cost of the phone.

Hell, going that route and getting a 6 or 6 plus is only slightly more expensive than my plan is now, with no upfront costs, and the ability to upgrade 6 months sooner.

I figure the $300 per phone a year I am saving, I will just buy used phones. Like I said, I will never have the latest phone but I like saving money more. Problem is my wife just upgraded about 6 months ago so I am paying $40 for her. My mother-in-law upgraded about a year ago on her text only flip phone. She is costing me $20 a month. Mine and my son’s smart phones are cheaper than her text only phone.

Forgot to mention we have more data now also. Win win situation if you don’t need the newest phones.

Yeah, i’m doing this with both teens. Bought used phones on ebay, and they are out of contract. Good deal.

Something else I can share with yall. I don’t typically purchase the protection plan from Verizon, but on our current phones we did just for a few months. I’m glad we did too, but because both mine and my wife’s s5 both had cracked screens. If you’ve never used the service before, basically the phones are coverered against all damage, even accidental, for as long as you keep the service. When you file a claim to have your phone replaced, they send you a phone, battery, and charging cable, and only require you to return your old phone without the battery or anything else. So, you basically get a new free battery, and charging cable for your claim. It was worth it just for that.

Wait is this $15 a mo thing v automatic? I’ve been out of contract since jan