What is Star Citizen
Just Imagine, a sandbox unlike any other. A galactic sized sandbox where you can live out your Sci-Fi fantasies how ever you wish to do so:
- Be an Ace Pilot like Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica
- Be a Smuggler like Mal Reynolds from Firefly
- Be an Explorer like Captain Kirk from Star Trek
- Be a Space Pirate like Captain Harlock
- Be a Bounty Hunter like Boba Fett from Star Wars
- Be a Space Marine like Master Chief from Halo
None of those tickle your fancy? Well, there are ships designed to be: Luxury Yachts, Salvage Ships, Passenger Shuttles, Capital Ships, Info Runners, Racing Ships, Long Range Scouts, Merchants, Cargo Ships, Infiltration Ships, and that’s just before the game even launches.
It’s hard to explain just what Star Citizen is as it is a sandbox MMO, and there are so many components to this grand idea. It’s being developed by Cloud Imperium Games, with Chris Roberts (Wing Commander, Freelancer) as Chairman. The entire game is being crowd founded.
Here is a list of some of the components of Star Citizen:
- Dogfighting - Small single or two manned fighters
- Multi-Crewed ships - from 3 man ships up to large capital ships that have over 60 people all on one ship at a time
- Modular ships - Remove sections of a ship (like a cargo bay) and replace it with another (torpedo bay)
- Ground based combat - like Call of Duty
- MMO Persistent Universe - Like WoW
- PC Only - Designed from the ground up to be a PC game, the developers have not had to hold anything back to make it one of the biggest and most beautiful games in existence.
- Private Servers - Like Minecraft (and can be modded)
- Huge maps - Up to almost 9Billion KM’s in size, in real life it’s only 5.9 Billion KM’s from the Sun to Pluto
- No loading screens - Seamless transitions between different zones
- Box cost only - No subscription required
- Realistic Physics - Your ship handles based on size, weight and engine power/position. If you lose a wing, it drastically changes the handling of the ship.
- Procedural Generation - Some things will be procedurally generated (like No Mans Sky) others are hand crafted by developers.
- Full economy system - That will allow you to buy goods cheap in one system and sell them at a premium in another
- PvP - Want to play as a pirate and steal ships? That’s in-game.
- Perma-Death - If you die and there is no medic to revive you, you will find yourself in a cloning station. Die too many times and your character won’t be able to be clone any further and that character will die, and all of your belongings will go to a new character that you have deemed as its inheritor.
- Unique experience - If you are given the chance to kill General Bob, a primary NPC, that character will die and never return and your character will go down in the NPC’s history as being the one who killed him. Same goes for discovering new planets and systems, you will be the only one to be named as the explorer who founded the new system.
Check out our own @GrumpyInUt’s daily Star Citizen Chronicles
SC:Datapad Database for Star Citizen